Monday, February 25, 2008

Checkers And Cocoons

Occasionally I notice a subtle change in our household dynamics. For example, when Isaac started sleeping in a "big boy" bed or when Brigham learned to speed around on the little fire truck with the other boys or when Clayton figured out how to make his own breakfast, the rhythm of our family changed - a little.
This weekend another subtle change occurred when Nate introduced Clayton to the game of Checkers. Clayton picked it up quickly and passionately. Although he has yet to beat Nate, he beat me twice - legitimately.
Around here, you'd normally find Clayton and Isaac engaged in imaginary play together or teaming up on some Lego construction project. But on Saturday, while Clayton's brain was preoccupied with game strategies, opponent patterns, and arranging Checkers matches with Nate and me, Isaac was found moping about the house and announcing to no one in particular that he's going into his cocoon and won't come out until he turns into a butterfly.
Despite our efforts to teach Isaac Checkers, and despite Clayton's encouragement (and frustration when Isaac insisted the game pieces were chocolates and pretended to eat them one by one - Yum!) Isaac resigned himself to hiding under his blanket. When asked what he was doing under there, he'd reply, "I'm just cwying cuz I don't have a fwend."
It's tough being a little brother. But little brothers eventually learn new things too. . . and grow and change in subtle ways just like households. . . and butterflies.

2 comments:

Cami said...

Wow! Playing checkers already! Poor Isaac. It's hard being the "little" brother or the "little" sister.

Andie cries whenever I drop Kate off at preschool (twice a week). I totally have to distract her or else all I hear is "Diddy, diddy, diddy..." in between sobs. "Diddy" is Andie speak for Sissy.

Emily said...

Clayton says, "Huh? Butterflies don't change in subtle ways. Only caterpillars do."

Yup. Right again.