Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Trains, Cars, and Philosophy on a Rainy Day

I used to listen to music in the car - and I still do sometimes. But now I listen to my kids mostly. There's just something about my three kids strapped down in one spot that lends itself to conversation (and to my sanity). And because of this, I love car rides. I love drive-thru's and the car-wash. In fact, I love any errand I can complete entirely from the seat of my car. Because (minus the occasional screaming and fighting) I am in love with the chatter, the questions, and the stories that come from those little voices in the backseat.
Today Clayton was enlightening us on his favorite subject: Trains. It was interesting, even though he made most of it up - "Do you know what rocket trains are? They're like bullet trains only faster and they can go to WAY more places than just Japan."
But then he asked me if I knew why he likes trains and Isaac likes cars. I didn't.
According to Clayton, he likes trains because they follow a track. You can always know exactly where a train is going and where it has been. They're predictable. And Clayton lives and breathes predictability. Isaac, on the other hand, prefers cars. Cars are spontaneous. You can't be sure which way they'll turn or where they're headed. And, just like Isaac, you can never second guess a car.
So there ya have it. . . the philosophical mind of a five-year-old. Not his exact words, of course, but definitely his thoughts on the matter. And very perceptive thoughts, I must say.
Oh, and it also rained all day. . .

3 comments:

Nikki said...

Love the goggles!

Sara @ Our Best Bites said...

The things that go on in that kid's mind amaze me!! What a great analogy!

Gina Rochelle said...

Wow, what an insightful young man you have there!