Tuesday, April 1, 2008

How Cool Is Gladys Knight?

Cool enough to sing in our backyard. . .
It's true. Gladys Knight and her Grammy Award-winning choir, Saints Unified Voices, attracted literally thousands of people from all over North Texas to the stake center right behind our house for a series of four sold-out (the tickets were free) missionary concerts. The music and testimonies were phenomenal. We wished all our South Chicago friends could have been there as well because Gladys Knight ROCKED THE HOUSE!
Gladys is not the only one talking about baptism, however. This is what Clayton announced this morning: "I'm not going to wear goggles when I swim anymore. I need to practice seeing with my eyes in the water because when I get baptized in. . . three years (he says with confidence and holding up his fingers - what kid plans anything three years ahead of time?) I won't be able to wear goggles and I don't want to miss a thing!"

9 comments:

Cami said...

I love how Clayton's mind works.

The Question: "What kid plans anything 3 years in advance?"

The Answer: Nate's kid.

Sara @ Our Best Bites said...

haha, ditto Cami.

That's awesome.

Nikki said...

How exciting!! Hopefully some of our South Chicago friends will go when she comes to Chi-town. My mother in law says she is coming at the beginning of June.

Emily said...

Awesome. Nate and I were wondering if she was planning a concert there.

Anonymous said...

That sounds like it would have been a wonderful concert. Did you get to hear much or attend?

Emily said...

Yes, we went with a few friends from work who LOVED it and who appreciated the convenience of parking in our driveway and walking over with us. We sat with the thousand people in the back because we didn't come three hours early to wait in line for a cushioned seat. Oh well, the concert was still fantastic!

The Gunnerson Family said...

She did her concert in Las Vegas shortly before we left, but we didn't end up going and we heard we really missed out. I am glad you had such an enjoyable time. Clayton is hilarious! He really thinks everything through.

Emily said...

Here's something interesting Nate just emailed me:
Question: Are any of your wonderful arrangements available in sheet music for purchase?
Answer: The Saints Unified Voices does not use sheet music for any of the songs performed on either the CD One Voice or for our presentations. The choir's original arrangements are created by Gladys Knight and her musicians before rehearsals, and are often modified during the rehearsals. The choir receives only the words to the songs written in paragraph form. As a result, the SUV Choir does not have sheet music available at this time.

Gina Rochelle said...

Good thinking Clayton. Must be encouraging that he plans so far in advance, should help in high school to be thinking about that mission in 3 years :-)