If you've ever experienced the 4th of July in Oakley then you know that the Oakley Parade is the only parade in the universe that still throws candy and the firetrucks still blast their sirens (to Isaac's surprise) and the kids get to ride into town on the six wheeler and everyone at the parade knows everyone in the parade and your kid's church teacher might be dressed like a clown and toss you extra candy, and yell, "See you Sunday, Brigham!", and your own mom might be an Official Parade Judge.



If you've ever experienced the 4th of July in Oakley then you know that the Patriotic Program at the Town Hall is old-fashioned, dawg gone, patriotic entertainment and the local cowboy musicians might be some of your old high school pals and your 6th grade science teacher might sing a Merle Haggard song and your mom might accompany the town choir and your sister might fiddle.
If you've ever experienced the 4th of July in Oakley then you know that the bull riders and the fireworks at the Oakley Rodeo are better and brighter than anything you've ever seen and your husband might fly into town just to meet you there - wearing a cowboy hat.



If you've ever experienced the 4th of July in Oakley then you know that the Patriotic Program at the Town Hall is old-fashioned, dawg gone, patriotic entertainment and the local cowboy musicians might be some of your old high school pals and your 6th grade science teacher might sing a Merle Haggard song and your mom might accompany the town choir and your sister might fiddle.
If you've ever experienced the 4th of July in Oakley then you know it's more than a parade or a program or a rodeo. It's a family reunion, a celebration of freedom, a history lesson, a display of American pride, a reminder of all that is good and beautiful, and a thanksgiving to God for this great land and all that we hold dear. Yep, that's why I love Oakley. Because that's just how it is year after year, parade after parade, and rodeo after rodeo. So if you've ever experienced the 4th of July in Oakley then you know. . . NOBODY does it like Oakley.
7 comments:
thanks to Jenny and Mandy for letting me steal some pictures and the rodeo video.
How true, how true. Las year when we were in Vegas we ended up driving to Boulder city to find a pancake breakfast and parade. We felt a little more at home because it had the small town feel, but it wasn't truly "home". This year we were reminded of how wonderful the 4th is here at HOME.
Once again you word everything perfectly. Oh, and I stole the video from Mandy. I definitely have nothing against stealing family pictures and videos. How do you feel about me stealing your words? Because they're always so good it's really really tempting.
Sounds like a great 4th of July!!!
Oh how FUN! That's cool Nate was able to be there too. I love that picture of the fireworks, it's so clear- mine never look like that! Kudos to whichever one you girls took it, lol.
Yeah, Nate made so much fun of me for trying to get a good picture of the fireworks. He said, "it's not like we're ever gonna cherish three dozen pictures of blurry fireworks."
He was right. I deleted them all. But I still wanted a fireworks picture!!!!! So I stole that one from my other sister - the internet.
But even THAT doesn't do the real thing justice. . .
I'm gald I've experienced 4th of July in Oakley! I keep telling Jamie I need to take him some time. But somehow rodeos and country music just doesn't get him excited. I'll have to show him this post.
Post a Comment