Nate and I met our freshman year and married six years later. But that's another story. We both agree and openly admit, however, that our freshman year at BYU was arguably the best year of our lives. So while I was browsing the BYU Alumni magazine on the long and stressful drive from Utah back to Texas, I came across this article about Freshman Orientation Week which spurred a philosophical discussion about enjoying life with the same exciting uncertainty we had as freshmen. When life tackles you to the ground, mid-sentence, in front of your peers, for example, why not get back up smiling? Why not do and see everything you can with energy and eagerness? Why not find every excuse to celebrate? To make new friends? To experience life as it comes?Had it not been for this discussion, Nate probably would not have spontaneously whipped a U-turn after whizzing past what looked like Stonehenge from the freeway. . .
And we might have altogether missed Amarillo (pronounced "Om-uh-rree-yo" with a rolled "r" and flawless Spanish accent according to Nate, OR "Armadillo" according to Isaac, OR "A-muh-Rih-loh" acccording to the locals) and it's famous Cadillac Ranch.
Life is good.
15 comments:
Life is good and those pictures are great!!! Good luck with the move!
Thanks Nikki.
As soon as I can find the box where I packed our photo albums, I'll post a classic MUST-SEE freshman year picture.
Loved the description of freshman year. it's totally true. I need to start living more like a freshman. :)
I'm totally jealous you went to cadillac ranch. I'm convinced you haven't arrived in the world of culture and class, until you've been there.
What a fun way to break up a long road trip. Long rides always provide a great time for in-depth conversations with your spouse (in between children arguing, potty breaks, and listening to the wiggles on the radio).
I'd have to agree...freshman year was the best year of my life, too. That was very impulsive/adventurous of Nate to stop on your road trip. I need to do more things like that!
I've always wanted to go there, you are so lucky! Were you able to tag one of the cars with your can of spray paint? I remember all the talk of your new friends your freshman year and that gap hat you wore all the time. You have always been so fun and I'm glad to see that you are still living large and making a ton of friends.
My old roomate Caitlin is from Amarillo and she told me about Cadillac Ranch...funny that you should stop there!
Those are some great pictures, Em. I especiall love the one of Isaac looking through the car and the one of Brigham up against one. I jsut have one question? Are your kids all shouting in the last picture, or do they all just smile REALLY BIG?!
Ha, I read that article too. Those are great pictures!
Add - you remember well. I still have that hat. And no, we didn't know you could bring your own spray paint - DARN - or we would have.
Becca - ha ha yes, the kids are yelling "Texas is Best" - good job. only a photographer's eye would see that.
Oh, and Nate says it's a flicked "r" not a rolled "r". SORRY!
I'm liking this post a lot.
First, freshman year was the greatest. I don't really remember going to class much, or ever going to bed before the sun came up, but man, those were some good times. Whenever anyone talks about freshman year, I'm always swept away in a wave of nostalgia.
Second is this caddy ranch. I'm awed that there is someone out there who had a dream of sticking a bunch of caddy's in the ground and also inspired by the fact that they had the resources to accomplish their dream. It really gives guys like me with somewhat different ideas hope.
I'll bet your boys thought that was as fun as Lagoon!
Very fun! I love the family picture at the end!
Jesse and Dave are jealous. Deb pointed out Cadillac Ranch as we passed by yesterday, but she just kept on driving, muttering "Must get home!" under her breath.
Post a Comment