Thursday, August 21, 2008

First Impressions

The kids and I walked over to the elementary school tonight for the annual Ice Cream Social where all the students get to meet their teachers. I prepped Clayton all day for the moment when he'd shake his teacher's hand, look her in the eye, and say in his smartest voice, "Hi. I'm Clayton. It's nice to meet you." In that moment, she'd see how lucky she was to get such a polite, charming, and confident genius in her class. Clayton rehearsed flawlessly. (Because of Isaac's natural charisma and because conversation spews effortlessly from his mouth, he received no prior training - and because he refuses to do anything I say). I imagined myself impressing the teacher with my educators jargon and chatting it up with other parents over heaping bowls of topped ice cream. . . But.

When we arrive at the school (dripping with sweat), the line for ice cream is bulging out the front entrance. We stand precariously inside the heavy half-opened door, catching just the faintest wisp of air conditioner above our heads. Isaac whines incessantly and finally plants himself on the persons foot behind us, grumbling. I apologize and hoist him off the guys pant cuff. The kind gentleman smiles at Isaac and says, "Well hello there. And who are you?"
Scowling, Isaac holds up four fingers and grumbles, "I'm foyer."
"Foyer? Well, it's nice to meet you Foyer."
I can't help chuckling.
Clayton complains/asks a hundred times why there are SO many people. I assure him that the wait will be worth it for yummy ice cream and the chance to meet his teacher. We finally inch our whole selves inside the building where I notice that we're not in the line for ice-cream at all, but the line for carpool numbers, which we need, so we stay. . . until the gentlemen with the messed up pant cuff kindly points out the totally blatant sign overhead which reads Grades 4-5. We move to the Pre-K/K carpool line, which is much shorter. Thanks.
Eventually we make our way through the crowds of parents and students to the gym for ice cream. Isaac only gets lost once but I spot him clamoring back between someone's legs in the opposite direction. I quickly bribe the Boy Scout recruiter to retrieve my son. I'm amazed at how courteously people move out of his way. I take one of his fliers, compliment him on his sharp uniform, and tell him he deserves an Eagle - or something.
We sit on the floor by ourselves, by the garbage can (the only floor space available) to eat our small prepackaged cups of generic ice cream - an utter disappointment to Clayton and Isaac. But Brigham happily devours his napkin full of sprinkles while I fill out the required forms and sign up to be a "room mom". Then we head off to the classrooms. I'm happy to see that the kindergarten hall is less crowded. There is a small clump of people (busily filling out forms) with their backs turned to Clayton's teacher, who is facing our direction and looking at no one in particular. I hand Clayton his completed form and nudge him toward her. At the same moment another parent thrusts his form at the teacher and engages himself in immediate conversation with her. Without looking, the teacher takes Clayton's form and puts it in the pile. Clayton says to her waist, in his smartest voice, "Hi. I'm Clayton. It's so nice to meet you. Did you know that I am really fast at running? I can't wait to come to school and I'll show you my. . ."
His teacher doesn't hear a word. I step in to bail him out. She notices me for the first time, points to the clump of people, and says, "The line's back there."
We maneuver around some non-English speakers and take our place at the back of the "line". The wait is unbearable until the boys discover the drinking fountain and thoroughly entertain themselves doing things I KNOW are against school rules. But I let them anyway.
Finally the teacher acknowledges us and smiles. I usher dripping Clayton into her handshake. When he doesn't take her hand she bends directly over him and says in her totally rehearsed teacher voice, "Hello. I'm Mrs. Toobusytonoticeyou. It's nice to meet you."
Clayton says nothing.
The teacher fumbles through her papers for his name. "What's your name?"
Clayton says nothing.
The awkward silence is broken by a loud bonk, a yelp, and a howl, followed by screams of pain. I look down to find Brigham smothered underneath Isaac, holding out a bloody finger.
I startle Isaac with my quick emergency reflexes and he starts wailing and thrashing too. I whisk all three children out of the building and out of sight as quickly as possible, slowing down only to sneak Isaac's form into his teacher's pile, hoping she doesn't notice us. She does and the crowd of parents stare in horror. "My my, Somebody isn't happy!" she says guffawing and making an obvious mental note of his name on the form.
Safe in the parking lot, Isaac recaps with thorough detail how Brigham found some leftover sprinkles in his pants and wouldn't share. So Isaac tackled him to the ground to "make him share" and "accidentally" BIT his brother's finger!
I'm SO wishing I had my car, not only for a faster get way, but because it's now raining. And because I want to drive Brigham straight to the emergency room to get his finger sewn back on.
But I don't. I march my screaming, soaking brood home for a lecture and a band-aid.
I put everyone to bed, including myself (as soon as I finish writing this), with a pat on the back for winning the biggest first impression award. Good night.

15 comments:

NOBODY said...

I am laughing so hard, and I'm crying. Avee wants to know what's so funny, AND why my face is wet.

I lost it at Clayton talking to his teacher's waist, and couldn't recover after reading the rest.

You are brilliant, and you should get an award. If not for all the sweating.

Oh yeah, and Brigham too. Sprinkles in the pocket? AHHHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!

Michelle said...

My favorite is Mrs. I'mtoobusytonoticeyou!!! Love it. I'm sorry, but thanks for the laughs.

Stephanie said...

Your post made me feel better about meeting Max's teacher yesterday. Nothing went the way we practiced, either. His teacher also seemed very uninterested when it was our turn to talk to her. Maybe she was having a hard day, maybe she had a headache, or maybe her advanced degree (which she was eager to point out) doesn't have anything to do with being good with kids. After I finished filling out papers and we were getting ready to leave, she told me that when I bring Max on the first day of school I should plan to leave the 2 younger kids home. Wow, I've never been made to feel so bad about having more than 1 kid. P.S. Renee and Logan actually behaved really well. I was nervous taking all 3 kids, but they weren't too bad. We didn't have ice cream and sprinkles to deal with, so I should consider myself lucky, although that would have been yummy :)

Sheralie said...

I am surprised at how crazy life is with three kids. Thanks for sharing your moment - we all have em!

Nikki said...

Hope today was better. I have been there too many times to mention. Thanks for the laughs.

The Gunnerson Family said...

Oh Emily, you should totally write a book. You certainly know how to tell a story. I'm sorry the back to school night didn't turn out too well. I am sure that once the teacher gets to know Clayton she will know that she is lucky to have him as her student, and you as a room mother!

I can picture myself with my 3 boys alone trying to make a good impression with Luke's teacher...it would've been a disaster. I am thankful that my sister watched Noah and Rick came with me. I am glad that I am not the only person who wants their kids teacher to know that they are the smartest most well behaved students they will ever have, and I will be the most supportive mother they will ever come upon. I always wonder how to get that across without being totally boastful and annoying. I hope Clayton and Issac enjoy school. I hope YOU enjoy a little more peace at home with just one child!

NOBODY said...

Came back for another laugh.

Sitting on the floor by the garbage, prepackaged ice cream, "foyer", wrong line, Clayton silent the second time around...

It's TOO.MUCH.

Sara @ Our Best Bites said...

His teacher sounds like a total poopy-pants! You need to give her some how-to-be-a-freakin-awesome-teacher lessons Em. That adventure was too hilarious. Well at least it was for all of us reading it. Probably not so much for you, lol.

MariLouise said...

I'm so glad you referred me here so I could have the laugh of my morning!! Doesn't this just confirm that you should come back up to Dallas????

Anonymous said...

Heck with first impressions. When Mrs. Imtoobusy meets Clayton properly on the first day of school, she will be thanking her lucky stars for having such an awesome dude in her class.

Kristie said...

You POOR thing. Seriously, your boys are the cutest and funniest little things (from what I've seen on the blog of course) and that teacher obviously is not prepared for Clayton. She probably doesn't even deserve him. I'm sure she will soon learn that she is the lucky one to be graced with his presence. Good luck! I hope you retrieve your dignity on the next trip to the school!

Melissa said...

You are the best story-teller ever! This made me so glad I don't have to feel pressured every year to "explain" my children to teachers who will rarely appreciate how talented my girls REALLY are ("Melanie is NOT abused at home, even though she displays the classic withdrawn, other-worldly symptoms; Emily's hair is wild because she refuses to let me brush it, and no, I don't think she has ADD; Behind all of that clowning around lies a smart little Allison; Jennifer is not abused at home either....just shy; I really do try, like a good mother, to get Mandy to bed at a reasonable hour every night, so I don't know why she acts tired in school all day; etc. etc. etc.)
It sounds like you did all you could, and if all else fails after one year.....MOVE!

Larman Family said...

Thank you! I am still really struggling at how different it is to raise a boy. This story made me feel like there is hope and some day I will be ok with how crazy the day to day is.

Liz said...

Wow!!! Our first day seems a little dull compared to your night!!! We all laugh but hope the teacher finally gave the much deserved attention to Clayton at school.

Christina said...

Emily, that part about Clayton introducing himself to his too busy teacher about made me cry. Crazy that all our babies are going to real school, now, huh? Man, youare amazing that you are doing this all yourself.