Thank you for all your emails, phone calls, prayers, and concern. As most of you know Ike turned out to be a monster hurricane that just creamed Houston late Friday night. Luckily the kids and I evacuated on Thursday and met Nate in Dallas (where he is still working until October). We spent about 8 hours in traffic just getting out of the city - not fun. But we're all here and safe. My only worry - besides the safety of our neighbors and friends and actual damage to our home - is my violin which was left behind (in a ground floor closet). Our home is in a "catastrophic damages" area near the Buffalo Bayou with flooding and trees down. The area is still without power or drinkable water. We have been unable to contact neighbors by phone or email to check on our house and will not be allowed back in the neighborhood for quite a while. Houston schools are closed so in the meantime we're just hunkering (vacationing) here in Dallas. We'll keep you posted.


This is the picture that will always pop into my mind when I think of "Houston" even after we've long moved away.
Here's to Clayton, Isaac, and Brigham for handling SO WELL the stress of moving to a new city, a completely frazzled mom, starting school for the first time ever, being separated from Daddy, and a pretty intense hurricane evacuation. All in two weeks. They're troopers and I love 'em to death!
Oh, and to a great husband who convinced me to get gas on Wednesday while the lines were still fairly short and tracked the hurricane and traffic hour by hour. And who calmly talked me through the whole thing.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, and by the way. Hurricanes ARE no joke.
But seriously. . .
some people just don't take it seriously.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, and by the way. Hurricanes ARE no joke.
But seriously. . .
some people just don't take it seriously.

18 comments:
I hope all is well when you return back home and that your violin is safe. ! Glad you are safe
I am so glad to hear that you are safe. I hope you enjoy your "vacation" time with Nate and the kids. Best of luck with the clean up and repair and I really hope your violin is okay.
Holy Crap Emily! After all of your trauma in the past few weeks to have to live through a hurricane too?!? We are thinking of you guys and will pray for that sweet little violin.
Way to evacuate. 8 hours! Terrible. I'm sorry the worst hurricane to hit Houston in at least a decade hits in your first few months. Houston sounds like it is in a total mess. Great adventure though!
Emily, you really are a tropper. I am not sure that I could hold it together. I have drama when I get sick and have a stiff neck for a week. I am woried about the violin but the most important things are those three little boys that are with you and safe and sound. Did you take all your pictures and stuff? I am so concerned for you!
I talked to our real estate agent whose cell phone just started working today. He said that he couldn't get over to our house because of flooding and debris. But he'll try again. He said the rain has stopped and the water from the bayou is moving back out to the gulf which means no more flooding. There is still no water or power and supply trucks with food and ice have had a hard time getting around. He warned me not to come back because I'd just run out of gas and the few stations in Houston that still have gas (and power) also have cars lined up for blocks.
Oh, and thankfully all our photos and most of our irreplaceable belongings are in storage here in Dallas.
Glad to hear you guys are safe and sound! What an ordeal... hope your violin didn't go swimming :)
Emily!! You poor thing. I'm glad you guys are safe, but what an ordeal to go through. I love, love, love the picture of your boys sleeping. There is nothing sweeter than sleeping children.
I've been down here at school hearing all the crazy news and I've been worried about you (and your violin because I know how you feel. You know when people ask what would you grab if your house was on fire and you could only choose one thing? Well my answer is always my violin, but I think in your case the kids are more important!) I'm glad you are all safe!
Our property manager made it over to our house in Houston this afternoon. She said there was some flood damage outside but as far as she could tell nothing inside the house. The huge palm tree in front survived the storm but lost most of it's branches. There was a window broken. Still no water or power. Schools are closed through Friday so I think we'll just head back on Sunday (Clayton's birthday).
Really glad to hear that everything is OK at least. What a stressful time. We watched it from here and thought about you guys often.
Just kidding. She says the window looks okay.
I can't believe you had to deal with a hurricane on top of everything else. I'm glad you and the kids were able to evacuate safely!
What an ordeal. Are you rethinking your recent move to Houston? I was just watching the news and seeing the pictures of Houston and thinking of you and your violin. I am glad to hear that for the most part things are going okay. I hope that by time you get back to Houston things are back to as normal as possible.
Emily, your my hero! I thought it was hard being without my husband for a few months but I didn't have to deal with new houses, school, and hurricanes! Glad to hear your family and house are okay! Hope things will start to slow down a little or you.
I've been going crazy wondering about you guys! I'm so glad you're all safe. And ditto everyone else. I cannot BELIEVE all of the stuff you have gone through over the last few months. Holy crap!! Nate better buy you one huge surprise when life is "normal" again :)
Okay, Emily... I think we need a Lifetime Original Special about your life. THis is insane! I am proud of how well you are handling it.
Post a Comment