Monday, September 1, 2008

One Of These Boys Is Not Like The Other

Today at McDonalds somebody asked me if these two were twins. It's not the first time. Hello! Do these people even notice the difference in height?, hair color?, head size?, speech impediments?, and okay fine. Clayton and Isaac do dress alike (their choice. not mine. except on Sundays) and wherever they go, they go together (including the toilet). But twins? When I told the lady "no." she said, "Really? Well, one is just like the other."
Hmmm, actually. . .

One of these boys got a RED behavior mark in school.
One vowed to get GREEN marks every day for his entire life - and probably will.

One of these boys is afraid of hurricanes even though he can explain in full scientific detail how hurricanes form in the Atlantic ocean but not near the equator where the Coroilis force is zero.
One demanded we turn our minivan into the magic school bus and fly into the "eye" of Hurricane Gustav.

One of these boys knocked his two front teeth loose doing flips on his air mattress (after his mom told him to go to bed) and cried all night because he couldn't suck on his fingers.
One performed perfectly executed flips on his mattress and then went to bed when told.

One of these boys is a vegetarian.
One loves meat and butter more than candy.

One of these boys runs all the way to school blaring his "super rocket engines" while his mom yells for him to stop before crossing the street. He never listens.
One walks right beside his mom all the way and likes to help her push the stroller.

One of these boys thinks wearing underwear on your head is not only the most hilarious thing in the whole world but literally transforms you into an "astronaut robot".
One thinks its disgusting.

One of these boys spends hours engineering Lego contraptions.
One specializes in wrecking them.

One of these boys made the babysitter cry when he asked her if she had a baby in her tummy and why she looked like a fat guy. (rude!)
One thinks before he speaks. And thinks and thinks. . . and sometimes doesn't speak.

One of these boys tattletales on any kid who says a "bathroom word" at school.
One shouted "Poopoo sandwhich!" in the lunch line.

So you see. . . one is NOT just like the other. But if you asked them, they wouldn't trade each other for the world. When they're not fighting they refer to each other as "best friends for life". And on most days would probably prefer to just be twins.


12 comments:

Sara @ Our Best Bites said...

Oh my goodness. That made me laugh so hard! I can't wait until my boys are old enough to play together be buddies too :)

becca said...

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Too funny! I read this out loud to my parents and we were all cracking up. I had a hard time reading it because I was laughing so hard!

Mandy and Brian said...

I am sitting on my couch laughing and reading Kati (we are now officially roomates again) the best parts. Clayton and Isaac are very different but you just can't help loving both of them for who they are!

Nikki said...

That was really funny! thats kinda how my two oldest are. Although the kid I thought would give the teacher trouble ( he gives me trouble) came home from school the first day and cried because he was afraid of getting on "black" that comes after red and having to meet with the principal. I said good just behave and you'll be fine.

The Gunnerson Family said...

Sounds just like my boys! Isn't it amazing that these little spirits come to us pretty much hardwired to be who they are. We have very little to do with their personalities, all we can do is try to use the personalities to shape them into their best selfs.

Stephanie said...

Cute post! Very fun comparisons. Your boys will love reading this someday!

Sheralie said...

I love it. Some people don't think i guess - I have been told all three of our kids look like twins ????

Allison said...

I am laughing my pants off right now. That is SO Clayton and Isaac. I miss those boys and Jordie misses "Cousins" and "Bwiggy" too. He was looking all over for them when we went to Oakley last weekend.

Jenny said...

I can't stop laughing. I was chuckling the whole time I was reading and then I saw that last picture and I just busted up laughing. It is amazing how different those two are, yet how much they love to be together. Great post.

Christina said...

So funny! I love it. Yep, they come down with their own personalities don't they? Eva and Samuel have gotten the twins comment before, too. When their tumbling teacher asked, Eva said yes.

Unknown said...

Excellent post Emily. Just that last picture and no explanation whatsoever would have been a good post, but the comparison makes it all the more hilarious.

Aplanalps said...

That made us just laugh. Ohh, thanks for the funnies. I would especially like to send our car into the eye of the hurricane. I shouldn't say that out loud, I guess it could coe true.