Tuesday, November 25, 2008

I Love When My Mom Comes To Visit

And here's 10 reasons why:

1 - Because as Nate says, "Whenever she's around the whole world gets better."
(the whole world and sometimes even beyond)

2 - Because she always finds the exact thing our house is missing and gets it. (without making me feel like a total loser for not having chairs or a vacuum in the first place.)

3 - Because she not only buys new household equipment but she also trains (and bribes) the kids to operate it properly (at my command).

4 - Because she makes Thanksgiving dinner when it's not Thanksgiving - just because she knows how much she'll miss us.
(Mmmmm. She also makes the best caramel ever. . .)


5 - Because she teaches (coerces) Isaac to draw something besides Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. She teaches (tricks) Clayton into perfect piano practice habits. And she teaches (allows) Brigham to use the scissors.
6 - Because when she's at home with the kids, Nate and I don't have to be.

7 - Because she sees the real me in action and still thinks I'm awesome!

8 - Because when she's around I never have to do a smidge of laundry or dishes (or pay the grocery bill) - which might be the reason why everyone is in a better mood.

9 - Because she enjoys when the kids wake her up in the morning and Nate and I can stay in bed until 8:00 without any interruptions.

10 - Because when Mom comes to visit it's better than a luxury vacation. Seriously.
(which is why we are all devastated when she leaves. . .)


I love you Mom!


Come back soon.


.

13 comments:

Melissa said...

I really DO think you are awesome, Emily! It is easy to be "Mary Poppins" when it is just for a few days. The truly heroic thing is running a family and household 24/7 day after day after day.
It is fun to do something for someone that is always so appreciative.
I love the picture of the boys on the stairs with me because you captured the "angelic side" of all three (especially Isaac...a cherub in a Christmas card).

Sam said...

Did you guys take a date to Houston? I know the temple there is pretty (is the one in D down for cleaning?)

Emily said...

Hi Sam -
We actually sort of moved to Houston. (although, we shuttle between here and Dallas a lot since we have a house there too. which will explain why we don't have any real furniture etc. because all of our stuff is still in Dallas. We're pretty much camping here.)

Cami said...

Everything is better, more managable, the messes seem smaller, and everyone is happier when Grandma comes to town at our house too! Aren't Grandmas the BEST?!?

Aplanalps said...

AMEN!!! Can't wait to go home for Christmas for that reason!

Sara @ Our Best Bites said...

Can your Mom come vacation at MY house?

Pete said...

I recognize that space helmet. And the temple. :) Your mother is pretty much super woman.

Stephanie said...

Moms definitely do make everything better. I'm always so sad when my mom has to leave after coming to visit.

Jenny said...

I'm glad she got to come stay with you because I always feel a little guilty that we get to be with her so often and you don't. I hope you know that we're always thinking about you and missing you! I also hope that Isaac is no longer so sad about her leaving. I can't wait to see you all in a few weeks!

Emily said...

I forgot to mention a reason I don't love:

Because everyone thinks we're sisters - a compliment to her youngness and spunk. But I'm not so sure what it implies about me. . .

Sheralie said...

I love your Mom too. I am so glad she came to visit. It makes me feel better that we left you in Houston!! I thought of our fabulous thanksgiving together - wasn't it nice?

Gina said...

Do you think your mom will come stay with me?! She is awesome! Makes me excited to see my mom in a few weeks!

Sam said...

Well, if you guys live in Houston, I'll stop by next time I visit my parents. They live in Huntsville, pretty small drive.