Saturday, December 27, 2008

Henrietta

Every year at Christmas, my sisters and mom and I write down a memory from our childhood. We include pictures and then print enough copies for everyone which we then keep in our own "Memory Binders". Each year we pick a new theme. This year's theme was "Pets".
Growing up on a ranch, we had lots of pets and some pretty amazing and hilarious stories. I decided to write about Henrietta, the chicken my cousin caught at the Children's Rodeo, and who lived in our garage (and not the chicken coop) until she left to become a movie star exactly as the story says.
Since I didn't have any photos of Henrietta (I'll keep looking) I decided to draw pictures instead. The result? My very first Children's Book. (and so what! if I forgot to draw her wings in the last three pictures!)










THE END.
.

12 comments:

Emily said...

Hi family - your copies are coming. . .

Mandy and Brian said...

Emily that is so cute! You are amazing! Now you have set the bar for the rest of us...great, what am I going to write about?

Sara @ Our Best Bites said...

Oh my gosh, how cute! You draw such cute pictures! Is that all really true? Does she live in Hollywood? I'm so intrigued by your chicken now!

Oh and what a fun idea to write down memories. I would totally do that, if I thought my brothers would comply...

Sheralie said...

I love this book. Fabulous story . . how do you have all these talents I didn't even know about? Children's books too?

April & Anthony Callison said...

this is so cute! and i can't believe it's true... we had some crazy pet stories, but none quite like this!

Stephanie said...

Love it! Very cute!

becca said...

This is wonderful... you want to go into business someday?? I also love the new look- the header picture is adorable!

Big Jay said...

Was this chicken caught as a prize at a rodeo in Oakley?

Emily said...

Yes. Henrietta was "won" at the Oakley Rodeo. And because of that she was more of a pet and thus lived in our garage.
The movie "Stranger On My Land" with Tommy Lee Jones was filmed right next to our ranch and all the movie crew camped in our field. They built a totally fake cemetery on our property that's still there. My dad was an "extra" in the movie and got to wear a cool military uniform. And my sister, Jenny, has a picture of herself sitting on TLJ's lap.
They didn't bring enough "movie chickens" with them (or something) because they really did ask us if they could use Henrietta for the film. Which they did. And never returned. We can ONLY assume she lives in Hollywood now with all the other movie star chickens.

Emily said...

Oh, and Becca - I'm flattered you would consider going into business with ME!?!? I've seen your artwork!!!! AND YOUR WRITING!!!!!

But maybe I could at least be your editor or something. . .

Gina Rochelle said...

Love the tradition! Love the book! So who caught the chicken?

Emily said...

I think it was Spencer. Jesse caught a chicken once too at the children's rodeo but Pop made him trade it in for a duck - as we needed more anyway to eat the moss off the pond.