Which merited taking the kids to see Santa Clause at the mall - something I have NEVER done before. My mom never took me to see Santa when I was a kid (she made fun of "mall" Santas) and I've been Bah Humbug about the idea ever since. But. . . like I said, it snowed today. And magical things happen when it snows.
I lectured the kids all the way to the mall about only asking Santa for ONE thing. Clayton wanted three things (he said) and had the hardest inner-struggle deciding on just ONE. (I was certain - or at least banking - that he'd ask for the Lego Airplane he'd been drooling over for months.) We waited in line for about 20 minutes. You would not have recognized my children, the way they stood petrified at my side - silent and nervously anticipating their encounter with Santa. Brigham, who normally wouldn't hold my hand if a shark was attacking and my finger was his life-line, was cemented to his spot. I wish Santa would come to church.
When we got close enough to actually see Santa, Isaac tugged on my elbow and clawed his way up to my ear. He whispered (as if he knew he'd be in trouble for saying it) "Santa's tummy is even bigger than Daddy's". I smiled, containing my laughter.
The children finally got their turn on Santa's lap (all at once) and the interaction that took place was worth every cent of gas and ounce of humility:
"Well, Ho Ho Ho, let's start with the oldest. What would you like for Christmas?"
"Um, um, um. . . . a digital camera so that I can take pictures of my Legos to show my friends at school."
(huh? Crap! I already got the airplane. And what the. . . Take pictures of his Legos???? to show his friends?? Oh, no. no. no. I'll have to explain what "not cool" means. . .)
"Do you want anything else?"
"Uhhhh. . . (remembering my lecture and looking up at me) Well, my mom said to only ask you for one thing, but just in case I also want a big green Lego airplane. It's called the Cargo Plane and it has. . . (he lists a million different features and details about the toy until Santa is wishing he never asked).
(Whew!)
"Ho Ho Ho! And what would this little boy like for Christmas?"
Isaac scrunches his face, taps his finger on his head repeatedly, and mumbles something.
"What? Ho Ho Ho. . ."
"I said, I'M FINKING!!!! Sheeeesh! . . . hmmmmm. . . I guess I want a digitoh camwah too."
(What? Again? What about that mail plane that you've been wanting forever?? that I already bought)
"Ho Ho Ho. . . uh. . . (Santa's decision NOT to ask Isaac if he wanted anything else was way too obvious) and what would you like little one?"
"I wike a no-man. An I wike a pwesent. An I wike a waindeer. (pointing to each display) An I wike DAT no-man too. (pointing to Santa and smiling)
"Ho Ho Ho. . ."
Well, Santa. I really hope you can deliver this year. In the meantime, I'm off to look up digital cameras on ebay. . . and no-men, and waindeer, and pwesents.Merry Christmas to all. . .
and to all a good night.
and to all a good night.
12 comments:
I just zoomed in on Santa's face. And I must say that Santa looks weary this year. . .
or drunk. It's hard to tell.
YES! Very timely post Em. We were going to bring some small presents for the boys, I had my heart set on these micro remote control cars, but alas they only make them in 2 frequencies, so only two of them can run at the same time(some retarded FCC rule), I had a contact to get some directly shipped from Japan that came in 4 frequencies, but that was way too slow, so last night I sadly told Jenny that I had to abandon my dreams of 4 tiny r/c cars racing around your house(three for your boys and one for me).
After reading your post this morning though, I think Santa can deliver on the digital camera front. I've got the perfect durable, cheap digital camera that I got about 5 years ago that hasn't been used for like 4 1/2 years. I'll get it all wrapped up, and Santa will deliver! (Um, not sure about two of them, though... My brother got one at the same time, I'll see if he can find his too...)
And about taking pictures of legos... Your worry isn't that Clayton won't be cool. It is that when Clayton flashes his pictures around school and has all these new friends come over to play, that they are only friends with him to play with his sweet lego set instead of enjoying his sparkling personality.
LegosForLife :P
Grandpa got a Fisher Price digital camara for the kids a while back- they loved it. Its very low resolution, but has thick rubber coating all around so that it can be dropped, kicked around, fought over, etc. and not break. Now if we could just teach them how to include peoples heads in their pictures...
Here's a link if you want to check it out: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10040287
Sweet! That would be awesome if you brought a digital camera (Ho Ho Ho). I actually found a cheapo camera ($9) at wal-mart - but they only had ONE. So if you bring another one, we're set.
I knew I could count on you having EVERY gadget I'd ever need. . .
Hey - I don't know how I missed your post, Jesse. We must've posted at the same time.
Those cameras look very cool (and durable) but it brakes the bank this year - especially since I already thought I was done Christmas shopping.
It sounds like the true magic of the season has brought about two miracles...snow in Houston, and boys behaving in line. So far the "Santa is watching you" bit hasn't really affected how my boys are acting. If I thought that it would have a lasting impression on a three-year old I would honestly give him a lump of coal for Christmas. I just don't think it would have the effect I would hope for. Good luck with the digital camera. I got one for Luke the day after Thanksgiving. It is small and cheap, but at least he could use it to take some pictures for his friends!!!!!!! And if you think Clayton will be uncool with his Lego pictures, Luke has decided to start a band with some of his friends. He has already gotten out his Theory book and written down assignments for them! I believe Luke will be on keyboard and lead vocals, with his friend on drums. Yeah, cool.
oh emily,, you make me laugh so much. You really need to write a book cuz you are freakin' amazing, and then we can all read it for book club. it would be awesome!
i took the boys to see santa today - i couldn't hear the conversations but i was sure holding my breath! i totally understand. your boys are so sweet. i don't know how you remember their conversations so clearly, it is always a highlight to read them!
Haha Santa does look a little tired! That's amazing that you guys got snow! We are working on about 6 inches right now- the longest cold spell since 1990. My dad says "it must be the global warming..." haha.
I love reading about the funny things your boys say, it always makes my day! I am just so sad we won't be seeing you guys for Christmas :(
Just to clarify: My mom loves Santa - especially Sammiclaus, the Swiss version of Santa. She invites him with his donkey to the ranch every December 6th to bring presents to all the grandchildren for her annual Sammiclaus party. (a tradition my grandparents started after serving as mission president in Switzerland thirty or so years ago.)
She just doesn't especially appreciate "mall" santas.
That is so hilarious. I am seriously laughing out loud. I love those kids!
Post a Comment