Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Prepare Yourselves For. . .

the cutest paper gingerbread men you have ever seen!

As a "family project" the Kindergartners were each asked to dress and decorate a paper gingerbread boy/girl to represent their family culture. So we dressed Clayton's gingerbread boy as a Mormon missionary. Just kidding. If you know Clayton, you'll have no trouble guessing which one is his.

I just adore the ethnic and cultural dynamics of our neighborhood and school - probably more than the average mom. I love the spicy, foreign smells and the chatter of so many languages. I love the interesting sounding names that happily (and effortlessly) flow in and out of conversation with my children. I love that Clayton's best friend speaks three languages - fluently. And that Isaac asks for chopsticks in his lunch. But I especially love Christmas time which, as you can imagine, is fascinating in an international school.

This time of year in public schools can be a bit tricky for teachers - I know. It's easiest not to emphasize any particular religion or culture and just celebrate in general with a"Winter Holiday". But in a school that is so culturally diverse, it's actually more acceptable to celebrate and share EVERY family tradition and custom.

Which is why Clayton was allowed (encouraged) to write this little book at school and then asked to draw or paste pictures for homework. I was surprised by this "school" project and impressed with Clayton's sweet (and somewhat religious) answers. But did the teacher freak out? No. She let him read it the next day to the whole class.

So in honor of everyone's "Special Days"
and because it's worth keeping. . .

3 comments:

Emily said...

Oh that is so cute and sweet. I love the conductor gingerbread man, too.

Unknown said...

I'm liking the three or four Asians, my kind of school!
I also really like the pic of you guys as Joseph, Mary, and baby Jesus.

Melissa said...

That book is a real keeper! I'll bet that was so interesting to hear about the December celebrations in Clayton's school. I'm also proud of Clayton for remembering what Christmas is really all about.