First of all, Go Dragons! Yeah!


Second of all. Hi.
Okay. Um. Yes. I have three boys. Three. And yes - my oldest was still three when my youngest was born. They're practically triplets except that they're not. Unlike triplets, I juggle three different developmental stages. One is the oldest. One wishes he were the oldest. And one thinks he's the oldest. For six years straight I was either pregnant with one or nursing another. And believe me - when I tell you. I know them better than you.
Also, just so you know. I have super hearing powers. I can hear the faintest whimper in the night and, in an instant, know which child it is and the degree of alarm and action I need to take. I can listen to the thuds and scuffles of my boys playing upstairs and can visualize and determine exactly what toys (or items of furniture) are being dragged out and to what location. Or who is wrestling with who, or spilling what, or sneaking into something they shouldn't. I also know when it's exactly time to stop being a dishwasher and become an upstairs referee. I can pick out my child's voice in a crowded lunchroom. I can hear things my kids say before they say them. Most moms have that talent actually - or maybe you forgot when you clicked your tongue in disapproval and (assuming I wouldn't hear) said to your friend, "I can't believe that mom is letting her kids fight like that! People who don't know how to control their children really shouldn't have so many!"
Your friend laughed and replied, "Or at least not so close in age."
Okay. Hmmmm.
A) "So many"? Let's count. One. Two. Three. And watch out! Becwuz there's more comin'.
Besides. Three kids is nothin' compared to the plenty of families I know with way more.
You should really get out (west) more.
B) Do you have boys? No. You have a daughter. One daughter. Have you met any boys between the ages of 2 and 6? 0 and 30? It's called "play" fighting. Yup. That's right. With sticks. (there's also such a thing called "play" crying)
C) Fine. I admit. 6:30-7:30 pm is not the most convenient time for soccer practice. Normally my children would be fed, bathed and in their pajamas, snuggled up with books piled a mile high before 6:30. At 6:30 my youngest would already be in bed. At 7:00 I would be curled up with my middle child who would be chatting away. And at 7:30 I would be at the piano with my oldest. I always cut them some slack during out-of-the-ordinary routines. What? You don't?
D) I make choices all the time about where and when to devote my facial attention - it changes minute by minute. In case you didn't notice, my oldest son's team was scrimmaging against your daughter's team and he just totally ran away from the ball when he should have been running after it. I was desperately sending him mind messages. At the same time (even though it looked like I was not paying attention) I was fully aware of my other little musketeers (and their swords) behind me on the sideline. It's amazing what we "three-childrened" moms can do!
E) Sometimes I actually do feel like I have too many (hard to manage) kids. But soccer practice was definitely not one of those times. And those feelings of exhaustion don't EVEN compare - and never will - to my feelings of joy and undying devotion to my family and the love, protection, and gratitude I feel for each one of my children - no matter how out of control.
So, until next soccer practice, I'll leave you now with a few pictures of my, yes.
12 comments:
Super cute pictures of your boys! It's sad that there are people in the world like that soccer mom. I've gotten my fair share of glares and comments, but I never get used to them. People like that just make me mad. Plain mad.
Oh Emily. There you go again, making me laugh out loud when I am the only one in the room.
Seems like I am always beating people to the comments that I have too many kids.
When I had one girl, I had NO PLACE commenting on someone with three boys. Its one apple to three oranges. They just don't compare.
Finally, I love that you posted that they ended up using the flowers as swords. Love it.
I know exactly how you feel!!! 3 boys are definitely a challenge, they beat each other up, that's what they do.:) Your a great mom, no matter what any uninformed soccer mom says! And I love the pictures!
Now you know how Shelley felt with 4 kids under 4 years old. We had two kids before our first wedding anniversary. Our twins were barely 2 years old when Nate was born and they were still 3 years old when Rochelle was born. At least when Brooke was born, we had 5 children able to provide baby-sitting!
I think you are a great mom . . . and I love your boys! Mine play fight and real fight too!
Oh yeah! You tell her! :) You are an amazing mother. Don't ever let anyone tell or make you think otherwise!
Hmmm....sounds like a comment I remember when I was pregnant with you Emily, and at my doctor appointment with little Melanie screaming her head off in the stroller.
- "Oh, is that your baby?"
- "Yes, she's a little tired I'm afraid."
- "And you are already having another one?"
- (obviously from my profile)
- "They have a great planned parenthood clinic on this floor who could help you space your children a little better."
What does one say to a comment like that??
If only she could know you now, Emily!
Even though San Francisco IS out west, I don't think people there undersood our views any better than the Texas soccer moms.
All of the bad press about the "octomom" hasn't helped either!
Just know that you are on the right track. As hard as kids sometimes are when they are young (and sometimes when they are older as well), we would NEVER want one of them to have been "the space" in a "planned" family.
Wait a second. Did you just make an announcement?
I laughed out loud at "facial attention".
And I'm sorry you had to deal with rude soccer mom at all. I love your response, it's perfect.
I always say in my mind when people are stupid like that, "She is going to feel really stupid about saying that some day". Most of the time when people are that ignorant, they just haven't lived or experienced enough.
I definitely have my cringing moments when I threaten to beat my child all the way out of the store, to the car--and remember I used to think those people where WT. Oh wait, maybe they didn't come to my level, I think I may have gone to theirs.
Nevermind.
oh yeah, I don't think anyone can know what it's like to have 3 boys unless they have 3 boys. Seriously. It's not the same as "three kids". It's a whole different ball game.
Oooh, that was sort of a pun.
. . .whole different ball game. . .Bwah ha ha ha ha ha
funniest pun I've heard - EVER!
Hi! I'm a friend of Nobody. She "referenced" you in a recent post.
I have three girls. Ages 3-6. Totally different (girl crying, a few less stick fights) but still insane. We have had a few trips to the hospital (stitches, head glue, staples, and casts!).
Yes, I get the looks and the questions and the "comments" at the grocery stores and schools and everywhere else. More now that we are in the Midwest than when we were in the West.
That innate ability to "know" what is going on everywhere. What a blessing!
And I should have had so many, too!
OHHHHH I soooo love this post and I am bookmarking you to come back often. I too have 3 boys, my las was born in December. The first two are Irish Twins....9 months and 24 days apart. One turned 5 in March and the other will be 6 in early June.
I too hear those comments and they get even better when my neice visits me. Those are really fun because people ask how old they all are and the answer is 5, and 5, and 4 but they are all three a total of less thana year apart.
I especially love the ones who say stupid things and then blush and scurry away after I tell them that she is my neice.
The best at this point is the people who see me with my 3 boys and say i bet you really wished it was a girl!!
ummmmmHELLO???
He is my son and he is precious and loved and I couldnt have wanted him just exactly as he is ANY MORE!!!
And believe me my older two can fight like cats and dogs and I have that innate sense as well and a husband who is calm enough to tell me to relax and let them be boys.
Post a Comment