Mom
She taught High School Russian and watched as dozens of her students later served missions there. For years (while we were young) she held down the fort (doing a million things at once - like always) while my dad traveled frequently to South America on humanitarian expeditions. Later she often accompanied him and even did some humanitarian projects on her own. After a trip to Africa (and falling in love with the Kenyan people), she convinced my dad to go to Africa too. My mom and I were with him on his first (eye-opening) visit to Ethiopia. When I was twelve, I toured England with the Youth Symphony. My mom tagged along (chaperoned). Afterward, we took off on our own, backpacking throughout Europe - just the two of us - sleeping in train stations, eating way too much Swiss chocolate, doing and seeing a million things a day, and visiting my grandparents at the mission home in Friedrichsdorf. That's how cool my mom is.
My mom continually magnifies her church callings at home and abroad, serves in the community, loves the scriptures, and goes out of her way to teach and help those around her. And she is still the reigning champion multi-tasker. How can I possibly fill her shoes? I love you, mom.
Lessons For My Daughter:
1) Enjoy the beauties of the earth. The stars and mountains and blankets of snow.
2) Be kind to animals.
3) Use your best talents to bless and improve the lives of others.
4) The best way to know about a place is to go there. The best way to develop a skill is to practice. The best way to learn another language is to speak it. And the best way to love other people is to serve them. Do it. Do it. Do it.
Kathy
Many of the attributes I admire in Nate come directly from Kathy - like her amazing work ethic, her desire to be thorough, and her striving for excellence in every endeavor. She is friendly and outgoing to everyone - always chatting with the person next to her in the check-out line. It's no wonder so many people adore her and appreciate her taking a genuine interest in them. But more recently Kathy has also become a spiritual role model for me and my children. During the last several years she has faced tremendous (scary) physical disabilities and emotional challenges but has remained strong in spirit and grounded in the gospel - standing upon her fervent testimony.
Lessons For My Daughter:
1) Enjoy the beautiful things in life: Bake them. Sew them. Create them. Build them. Plant them. And watch them grow.
2) Create a house of order. A house of prayer. A place of beauty and comfort. A refuge. A home.
3) Be thorough. If you're going to do something at all - do it right.
4) Smile. Take an interest in those around you. You can never have enough friends.
5) Rely on your testimony. It will prove to be your greatest strength.
Mommy Cannon
But as hectic as life must have been back then, the quality I remember best about my grandmother was her calm serenity. She never seemed in any rush - I loved watching her cut sandwiches and arrange food - slowly and perfectly. She always-always seemed to maintain a sweet eternal perspective and was often found reassuring others, "oh, it will all work out in the end." I remember one sunny afternoon at the ranch, Mommy Cannon showed my favorite cousin, Lindsey, and me a beautiful photograph of her mother, Oertel Rich. She told us both to look carefully at her mother's sweet face and to always remember. Then she told Lindsey, "One day you will recognize this face and she'll take care of you." My cousin passed away a few months later, at age 15. I will never forget that special moment at the ranch, the peace and assurance I felt later at my cousins funeral - and the beautiful connection I felt with my great-grandmother, whose mother I am named after.
Mommy Cannon lived simply and frugally her whole life. She wore hand-me-down clothes and rarely bought anything for herself. Her most valuable possessions, besides her books, were her unique and exotic nativity sets she collected while serving abroad and traveling for the church. A few years ago she gave me her hand-carved nativity set from Nigeria - my favorite. She died with all her affairs in order - every whit. Leaving her descendants a generous inheritance and an even more precious legacy - most of which she has already written.
Lessons For My Daughter:
1) Continually pursue your interests and develop and use your own talents - even throughout motherhood. Mothers who do, make for better mothers.
2) Do good and flourish wherever you are planted. Love, teach, serve and appreciate people from all parts of the world and all walks of life.
3) Gain and maintain an eternal perspective. Ground yourself in the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
4) Simplify. Simplify. Simplify.
5) Write your story.
Grandma Joycie
Besides her sense of humor, Grandma Joyce is also one of the most generous people I know - always thoughtful and giving. She is classy and stylish and a phenomenal hostess. She enjoyed introducing us to all her friends - she has so many! We loved shopping with her at the department store because she kept up with all the trends - and because she knew everyone who worked there. Her house is a museum of beautiful and exotic antiques, fur coats, fancy hats, and gaudy jewelry for dressing up. My grandmother is also an accomplished playwright and musician. She wrote two of my favorite Christmas songs and the screenplay for the classic church film, "Pioneers in Petticoats". (A movie you simply MUST see.) She sang with the Salt Lake Oratorio Opera and I looked forward to her performance of Handel's "Messiah" every year.
But the thing that I treasure, love, and am most grateful to my grandmother for is that she adopted my dad - along with my four other aunts and uncles. I don't think anyone can know the difficulty, heartache, work, and joy of raising adopted children unless you've done it. My grandma is an amazing mother and I will always be grateful to her and Grandpa Sears for picking up my dad in San Francisco all those years ago and raising him to be such an outstanding person.
Lessons For My Daughter:
1) Fill your days with joy and laughter. . . and singing!
2) Treat others like dear friends - and that's what they'll become.
3) Be generous and thoughtful with all that you have. Give to others.
Happy Mother's Day!
And guess whose mom is flying into town today???
and whose son is speaking in Sacrament Meeting today?
and whose husband made pancakes and cleaned the whole house while I slept in this morning?
MINE! MINE! MINE!
I could not have wished for a better Mother's Day.
and whose son is speaking in Sacrament Meeting today?
and whose husband made pancakes and cleaned the whole house while I slept in this morning?
MINE! MINE! MINE!
I could not have wished for a better Mother's Day.
.
9 comments:
My mother's day is almost over and I have to say that reading this blog was one of the best parts of my day! I am completely inspired by your heritage and can see the great influence these women have been on you. No wonder you are such a marvelous and unique mother! Love you.
Thanks for sharing those stories. I had never heard the one about Mommy Cannon and Lindsey. Hope you know that you are on my own list of inspirational people. Happy Mother's Day!
Aw, thanks Jesse - my other favorite cousin :)
And Sheralie - I could definitely add you to my list of mother's I admire and who inspire me. You have so many of the same qualities and talents that I just mentioned.
Emily,
It is no wonder you are such an amazing mother. You are surrounded by great examples.
Thanks for the post.
I really enjoyed your Mother's Day comments on inspirational mothers in your life. Mommy Cannon and Melissa have always been great examples to me and Joyce has been one of my favorite people in the world. You have been blessed with exceptional examples to follow in life and have captured the essence of their finest qualities.
Wow, you couldn't have asked for better women and mothers in your life. You know that someday your children will be writing the same things about you. You are totally equal to all of the mothers you mentioned. It sounds like you had a great mother's day. You deserve it.
Just a couple of weeks until you get to find out what baby #4 is. Are you going to share the info with all of you loyal followers? I still have my fingers crossed for a girl for you.
oh, Olivia - my comrade in arms and fellow mother of three superhero boys.
You are so nice. . . and QUITE the impressive mother yourself! Happy Mother's Day to another one of my favorite, inspiring moms!
I find out for sure if it's a boy or girl on Thursday. . . so stay tuned.
I got so excited when I saw this post because the one you did last year on fathers is one of my favorite posts ever. This one was just as beautiful and fun to read, what a great tribute to the Mother's in your life.
And what's this? Did Clayton speak in Sac. Mtg??
I expect a big announcement on Thursday- don't forget to tell us the sex (like you forgot to tell us you were PREGNANT) got it?!
Thanks Emily for posting this. It actually made me cry with gratitude as I read about the incredible examples we have. How blessed we are to have these women in our lives. Thanks for writing it all out in words. I hope you had a good mother's day.
Post a Comment