Tuesday, August 25, 2009

First Day

The boys started school today. Which means so many different things to me. Yup. Even Brigham is going to school. Which means for the first time ever, at least until our fourth child arrives next month, I have a few hours during the week ALL TO MYSELF!!!! A few hours that are already completely booked with appointments, church assignments and meetings, volunteering in three different classrooms, and a long-long list of projects. Like this:


And making eighty more of these:


and these:
Oh. . . and a nap? Yeah. One of those too.

The boys started school today. Which means Clayton is a big 1st grader! Which means he gets to check out "science books" (non-fiction) from the library. Which (besides escaping the wrath of his spitting, screaming, destroying-his-lego-contraptions-on-purpose little brothers) was the number one thing he was looking forward to in 1st grade. He checked out a book on sharks. And this is what he learned: Mother sharks often eat their young. Nice.


The boys started school today. Which means Isaac is now in, what we call, Pre-K-K. Which just means that he'll be in Kindergarten next year too. I met him for lunch today. He was sitting by a little boy from India who was talking a million miles an hour. Even Isaac (of all people) had a hard time getting a word in. After inhaling his entire yogurt in one slurp, Isaac growled at the little boy and through gritted teeth said, "I don't understand a word you're saying!!! Why are you talking funny like that!?!"
"Isaac!" I gasped - shocked by his impropriety, "He's telling you about his trip to India and all the things he did this summer."
"Oh." he quickly said to the boy, "Well, I didn't do ANY of those things this summer. I just stayed at home and played with my toys."

ouch.

What about the Ranch? Seattle? Our awesome summer-long road trip? What about your light saber party???? And all our trips to the museum? splash park? and pool? What about? What about?. . .


The boys started school today. Which means that from nine to noon Briggy gets to wear smart, British-looking school clothes. He applied and interviewed for the Montessori program awhile ago. It was like applying for college. I asked him what he said in his interview:
"Uhh. She asked me if I wiked bahloo-berries. And I said, 'Sure I do.' And dat's all I said."
So there ya go. The correct answer to blueberries is "sure I do."
In all honesty, Brigham's school is a wonderful, magical place and even I enjoy exploring, relaxing, and helping in his classroom. I could seriously live there.



The boys started school today. Which means we got to see a real-live Texas armadillo scurry across the sidewalk AND an awesome "monster truck" on our walk to school this morning. It means less mess everywhere in the house. And less noise. It means grocery shopping with a regular shopping cart. And time to think. . . think. . . think. . . about how much I LOVE and MISS my three little schoolboys - almost enough to keep them home with me forever. But not quite.

so with mixed feelings. . .
Mmmmwahh!
To those three adorable Kissing Hands!
.

6 comments:

Michelle said...

You are so funny. I love this post!! I love Montessori school too. It's so awesome. Ella went for a year. Are you enrichment leader? Where do you get your energy???

Cute kissing hands.

Emily said...

I'm the VT Coordinator. (or was) We're having our annual VT Conference on Sunday. It will be my last Shebang because I just got called to the Primary Presidency. (Yup. Two weeks before the Primary Program.)

Mandy and Brian said...

Emily, Emily, Emily....
I don't know how you do it. Maybe someday I will be as amazing, energetic, and creative as you, but for now I'll just have to be grateful that I'm your sister and get to partake of your blogging entertainment.

Jenny said...

I agree with all that Mandy said. Plus I want to add that the primary will love love love love love having you in the presidency. They don't know yet what a blessing you'll be.

The kids are oh so cute in their school outfits and I wish them and you luck with this new school year.

Sara @ Our Best Bites said...

You are so uber-crafty. Look at all that stuff you made- looks like such a cute program. What position do you have in the presidency? I'm the first counselor- have you noticed we keep ending up with the same callings at the same time? lol

Love briggy's outfits, love the tiny hearts on the hands, and love love Clay's drawing! Enjoy that time to yourself while ya have it!

Emily said...

Ha ha - thanks Sara. Do you recognize those cookies??? Where would I EVER be without "Our Best Bites"???!!!