When I was little, I had a friend named Kevin. He lived next door. I liked him because he had superman capes and his mom let us jump off his bunk-bed. He also had a raspberry bush in his yard (Mmmmm. . .) and right next to the garden hose was the hugest sandbox you could ever imagine. Kevin was a born rocket-scientist. (Actually, he's an economics professor at Purdue. Hi Kevin. If you ever read this blog, like I do yours sometimes. . . . your wife is darling. Your kids are adorable. And long live the sandbox!) He and I used to engineer these gigantic pressurized water-dirt-bomb-explosions that would plaster mud twenty feet up the side of his house - making his mom very mad. But it was still our favorite pastime and Kevin was the brains behind the whole thing. He was pretty much the brains behind everything at his house - which was filled with rocket-launchers, model airplanes, computer parts, homemade radios, and all sorts of scientific gadgets and gizmos. He used to bore my 6-year-old brain to tears with his talk of NASA, space shuttles, and the latest science technology. Uggghhh. I've actually hated science ever since.Until I had Clayton.
And now I can't EVEN explain how giddy-with-interest I am listening to him go on and on about NASA, space shuttles, and the latest science technology. So it was a dream come true when Nate's friend, who happens to work at NASA - In Mission Control (of all places) - offered to take him and the boys on a special-V.I.P.-security-badge-insider's-tour of NASA's Mission Control Center. They had a great time and even got to see REAL astronauts in space. Oh, and they took a ton of pictures. . .
Thanks again for the great tour!
From what I hear, the boys were in heaven.
.
From what I hear, the boys were in heaven.
.
12 comments:
Wow! What lucky kids! I bet that was a dream come true for them. I think my favorite picture is the one of Clayton reading the operating manual.... he probably knows how to work that thing now!
Hey, I remember those water/sand bombs. What a cool experience for Clayton to go see all this. I can just picture his interest and how he will remember all the details of everything he saw and learned.
Happy birthday to that boy today too!
Holy smokes, what a dream come true! Probably for Nate too, lol. That's awesome.
Wow, I counted 11 monitors in a 6x6' area. That's inspiring! I thought I was pushing it with 4 or 5 on my desk at work...
I'm finding a couple more towers and monitors... and somehow working an old joystick into it... and renaming my desk "Mission Control"...
What a dream come true! It looks like Clayton is in 7th heaven. I hope that you are feeling well, I keep expecting to see pictures of that new baby girl anytime. I am sure it will happen any day. Good-luck! I hope she isn't 10 pounds.
No way! The Mumfords are our dear friends from when we lived in Palo Alto. I had no idea he got his start with mud bombs. Small world.
Ah, the Mumfords and the Harrows. . . I should have known the twain were bound to meet! How funny.
Mark - Mark. . . Mark. . Mark.
I wouldn't expect ANYTHING less from you!! "Mission Control" Ha ha ha. . .
We all laughed so hard at your comment.
Great intro. You live in one giant boy land. But not for long...
Sorry--one more comment. When I told Brian, he said, "Wow--Emily Smith knows every smart person that I know. Tom Kuo, Kevin Mumford, John Henry Jorgensen, Nate Smith...
You know Tom Kuo?
Holy Cow! We DO know all the same smart people!
I realize this might be kind of weird since I have no idea who "MariLouise" is, but as I was reading these comments, I couldn't help but think you both might know Rob and Natalee Maynes too. They knew the Mumfords in Palo Alto, and they are both smart. Since you're talking about smart people you both know. . .Just doing my part to keep those connections going, ha ha ha.
Oh yeah. . . I forgot about the smarty-pants Maynes. I'm sure you know them (they ALSO lived in Boston too. . .)
Post a Comment