
I went into Babies R Us today and was spotted immediately by a Babies R Us employee who practically flung herself at me, "Oh my goodness! It's you! I have been wanting to meet you for the longest time! Are you having a boy or a girl?"
"Uh. . . Hi." I say, looking confused.
I have never seen this woman in my life.
It turns out she has been watching me walk my children to and from school EVERY DAY! (from her car while waiting in line to drop her daughter off at the Catholic school near our house ) FOR OVER A YEAR!!! Watching me. Every day. Walking the kids to school. Every day.
Freaky.
"My daughter and I see you and your three little boys all the time! They are so cute!!! The oldest one looks like you. He's the quiet one, I can tell. But Oh, the middle one can sure give you a run for your money! Can't he! He was SO CUTE in that alligator costume yesterday (laugh, laugh). . . (sigh). . . "
I am in utter shock by this conversation.
"So I just have to know. . . are you having a girl???"
"yeah." I squeak.
The Babies R Us employee cheers and jumps for joy.
Then she hugs me.
"Oh, after three boys you deserve it, Mom! Are you just so excited?"
"Um. yeah. Hey, could I get some help with a box over in the stroller aisle? Thanks."
(???????)
------------------------------------------------------------
It's true. Isaac was pretty cute in his "Crocodile Isaac" costume for the Kindergarten "C" Parade. It's amazing actually, how many costumes begin with the letter C. There were a million Cowboys, Clowns, and Cats. And because of all the engineers in our neighborhood, there was also a disproportionate amount of Calculators and Computers. Clayton was a train Conductor last year (which suited him perfectly). I even supplied him with a handful of train tickets to give to his friends.



This year, Isaac was the one and only Crocodile in the parade. I was very proud of my costume design. Not to mention my sewing. . . er, I mean stapling skills.

It was almost too much for my steal-the-stage Isaac to wear crocodile clothes all morning and NOT be allowed to stomp, roar, or chase the girls. But he made it all the way through the parade without a single "major" crocodile incident. (whew, and now I can breathe)
Before I left the school, I encouraged (lectured) him to keep up his best behavior. . .

Because, hey. . .
celebrity or not,
you never know when you'll be
on parade.
(or what baby store employee might be watching. . .)
.
10 comments:
Awesome costume! Do you have to come up with something for every letter?
No - holy cow! A parade a week? I would transfer schools. . .
They just do a "C" parade every year - probably to compensate for not having a Halloween Parade. . . (sad)
When I started reading this blog entry, I honestly expected to read that the store employee had been referred to your blog by another admiring reader (hey... even older adults in Kamas, like the McNeils are hooked on your blog). I wouldn't be surprised at all to have complete strangers recognize you from reading your award-worthy blog entries. I don't know how you come up with such clever posts (although having Clayton, Isaac and Brigham helps).
Tell Isaac that it's best to learn how to shop at the dollar store before he gets old enough to get sucked in by the 2:00 A.M. infommercials (voice of experience here).
Loved the crocodile/caiman costume....I probably would have just made a sign that said "Costume" and stuck it on a school shirt... or how about a sign with "Candidate" and an American flag; or "cashier" with a dollar bill; "coward", or (most unique of all in Isaac's school)just a sign that said "Caucasian".. or don't wear anything and go as Cupid. Issac could definitely go as "cute', "charming", clever","creative", "curious" or a "comedian" ("crazy"?). I guess it wouldn't have reflected well on Isaac to have worn his pirate costume and gone as a cutthroat. Anyway, none of those things would be as fun as being a crocodile/caiman, or even a Centaur, centipede, crab, cougar, cockroach, chameleon, cheetah, Czar or cricket. Now if you really wanted a costume challenge, have your child go as a Chimera (fire-breathing lion/goat/serpent).
Oh Emily, this story had both Dave and I laughing out loud. Of course someone has been watching you walk your kids to school for a year! You have the most entertaining, funniest, cutest boys around and all 3 of them together is just that much more entertaining.
Also, I just made your molten chocolate cakes for Dave's brother's birthday and they were a huge hit! Everyone thought I was quite the gourmet chef! Thanks.
Oh my gosh, that is SO weird about the stalker lady!
You crack me up, Mom. You could definitely be the director of the "C" parade next year with all your "C"olossal ideas.
Oh and you're right, Alli - I guess I shouldn't be so shocked when perfect strangers notice me. Managing my children in public can be quite the spectacle sometimes. . .
Wow. That's a hilarious story. And while surprising to realize you've been on parade, on the other hand, not too surprising if you walk three boys to school every day. Pretty funny though.
I love her analysis of your kids. I hate to think what kind of conclusions watchers come up with in my neighborhood. "Why do you hate the baby? He jumped out of a moving stroller and you rolled right over him. Twice."
How funny! I guess you never really know when people are watching, or what they are thinking. It is crazy how she got your boys pretty pegged just from watching you walk to school.
Great costume. Argh, you are THAT mom. You know, the one who is great at everything! I'm the OTHER mom. The one who always comes up short!
I have been thinking about this post ever since it comes up. And I love it! We don't know anything about being a spectacle . . . just being a family of three blondies here means we attract hordes of attention. I am glad the attention was of the positive kind.
Post a Comment