
When I was a freshman in college, my baby sister was 8 years old. That whole year and into my sophomore year she had a head-over-heels crush on the Scarlet Pimpernel. She could quote the entire movie word-for-word and she mailed me secret messages signed by S.P. and sealed with red wax. She's all grown up now and getting married on Saturday.
Mandy, this post is dedicated to you.
For the past week or so, ever since Isaac read that "spy-detective book" in school and ever since I mentioned something about it being like the Scarlet Pimpernel, and ever since he discovered that the Scarlet Pimpernel dresses in disguise, spies on bad guys, finds and hides clues, sends code messages, AND fights with a sword. . . Isaac has been the Scarlet Pimpernel. This morning he confided in a friend on the way to school that he is only pretending to be Isaac, "I'm really a secret-spy-detective. " And then he looked around to make sure no one was listening and whispered with urgency, "I'm the Scarlet Pimpernel!"
So on Saturday morning I just happened to snap a few pictures of that elusive Pimpernel in action :
Spying on the Frenchies in his pajamas. . .

geared up with all the essential spy equipment. . .

and creating a decoy with hidden clues. . .

Brigham followed the clues (with Clayton's help) and coincidentally found a 7-month-old Easter Egg full of candy in the "pyanoebench" (much to the Scarlet Pimpernel's chagrin). I love Briggy's semi-ravenous expression after discovering the egg. . . next to Isaac's sophisticated Percy-look. I also love Brigham's scribble marks on the wall in the background.
Just kidding. I don't love that part.
Isaac, I've said this before and I'll say it again:
Life would be utterly boring without you.
I can't wait to see you this weekend, Mandy. And who knows? I may even bring some earnest marriage congratulations from the Scarlet Pimpernel.
.

geared up with all the essential spy equipment. . .

and creating a decoy with hidden clues. . .
Brigham followed the clues (with Clayton's help) and coincidentally found a 7-month-old Easter Egg full of candy in the "pyanoebench" (much to the Scarlet Pimpernel's chagrin). I love Briggy's semi-ravenous expression after discovering the egg. . . next to Isaac's sophisticated Percy-look. I also love Brigham's scribble marks on the wall in the background.
Just kidding. I don't love that part.

Isaac, I've said this before and I'll say it again:
Life would be utterly boring without you.
I can't wait to see you this weekend, Mandy. And who knows? I may even bring some earnest marriage congratulations from the Scarlet Pimpernel.
10 comments:
That kid is hilarious. He is a lot like Laird - especially stuffing all his gear in his belt/pants.
I think I could look at that picture of him all geared up over and over and laugh every single time.
I loved this post! Isaac and I are kindred spirits. I am so excited to see you this weekend, and am only sad that I won't be able to see the elusive Pimpernel and his brave league of men. At least the lady Eliza will make it!
Is he in heaven...
I LOVE panchry and bukit and pyanoebench. Absolutely brilliant spelling there.
Scarlet Pimpernel is my all time favorite movie. Some have come close to replacing it, but nothing has. I just watched it last week!
One of my favorites too. . .
Pete - you look just like Laird in that picture!
Has he seen the movie? Or is it all on what you have told him? I had never thought of showing it to my boys but they have been very interested in beheadings lately . . .
No. He hasn't seen the movie. I tried to rent it over the weekend so I could show the kids some parts but Blockbuster didn't have it.
Oh well, sometimes Isaac's imagination is just as good as a movie.
Ha ha, I LOVE Brigham's hanger/bow and arrow. That's classic.
I LOVE your boy's imagination. My boys can only imagine that they are fighters, fighting each other all of the time!
Here is a little FYI, Rick and I watched that movie the night we got engaged! Geeks, I know.
Uh...is that a sharpie in the essential spy equipment? You are a brave brave woman!
Post a Comment