Monday, December 28, 2009

The Best Christmas Pageant Ever

There are a few things that, throughout the years, have made the Christmas Story from the Bible seem more vivid and real to me. One was having a baby myself. Another was visiting the Holy Land and playing "The First Noel" just outside of Bethlehem, in a shepherd's field at dusk. Another happened this year when I read "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever" with the kids. It was the first time I'd read it. . . well. . . since my mom read it to me 25 years ago. And besides being worried that my children (Isaac) might get some new (bad) ideas from the Herdmans, I was very touched reading it with an adult perspective this time and I cried through the whole last chapter. The boys weren't quite as emotional but thoroughly enjoyed the humor and seemed to understand why, in the end, it really was the best Christmas pageant ever. This year also happened to be a season of Christmas Pageants for our own family:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Primary Christmas Pageant

Last year I was not in charge of the Primary Christmas program but I was asked to help with it at the last minute. The phone conversation went like this, "Hi, Emily? Hey. Um, so I guess the Primary is supposed to sing tonight at the ward party? and I heard you have bells and costumes. Could you bring those when you come? And help us throw something together?" Sure. (what???)
It was chaotic (to say the least). But the kids at least looked adorable - as always.

So this year I was in charge of it. I wrote the program before Eliza was born and made 150 copies. I ordered extra costumes. I helped the song leader pick the Christmas songs and I brought copies of new arrangements. I added flute, violin, hand bells, and chimes in addition to the piano accompaniment. I made constant musical and staging suggestions. And somewhere along the way I completely offended the Primary music leader and pianist (two of my good friends) by "trying to take over". It was a huge blow. But I got over it and decided that my friends were more important than the program. And I handed it completely over to them and you know what? It didn't turn out the way I envisioned. But it was beautiful and organized! And everyone-everyone loved it.

(see entire program here)


The children performed again at the retirement center in our neighborhood which brought lots of tears, hugs, and appreciation from the people there. It was a good and tender experience for all.



Neighborhood Christmas Pageant

Our family participated in a neighborhood "Live Nativity". Nate and the boys were all shepherds and did a great job "being afraid" when the angel of the Lord appeared. The boys were more fidgety at the manger than the director would have liked and at one point got in trouble for kicking hay. But they were good sports, kept their costumes on, and looked as cute as can be.
I was a "town woman" and my main job was to walk through the set once with all the other "town people" then hide behind the stable with Eliza and wait for her cue. Eliza was lucky enough to be baby Jesus. We did four showings and she cried through all of them. Which just made it more realistic - I guess.




Christmas Eve Pageant

This was our first Christmas Eve without family. (sniffle, sniffle) So we made up for it by inviting some friends and neighbors over to celebrate with good food, a nativity set guessing game, and a Christmas Eve Nativity program. It wasn't quite the same as Christmas Eve at the ranch. But the message was the same and a good time was enjoyed by all.
(see entire program here)





"And we talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ,
we preach of Christ, we prophesy of Christ,
and we write according to our prophecies,
that our children may know to what source
they may look for a remission of their sins."


2 Nephi 25:26


.

6 comments:

The Gunnerson Family said...

Emily, just one quick question... DO YOU EVER SLEEP? I swear you must NEVER lay your pretty little head down on a pillow because the amount of things that you are able to accomplish is AMAZING! I am really not just saying this, but you are exactly the mother/wife/woman I want to be. In my "real life" I do what you do. In the life I really have I do none of that.

I haven't even had time to comment on your last few posts, let alone do all the things you are posting about (or post on my own blog). They may not understand it yet, but you have the luckiest kids in the UNIVERSE! You have a beautiful nativity family.

Sheralie said...

I love the costumes and the stories and the photos. You look fantastic in red, by the way. Where did you get the costumes? I completely forgot about that book but I am sure my boys would enjoy it, great idea. I wanted to read Dickens to them but that should probably wait a few years anyhow! And I love that you gave the program back to the pianist and chorister. . . I totally relate to that story because I hate being asked last minute to help with things and can see myself doing the exact same thing :)

Love you. Merry Christmas!

Emily said...

Olivia - okay. I totally say the same thing about you, Miss mom-of-three-boys-aerobics-palates-yoga-instructor-building-decorating-designing-your-own-dream-home-and-everything-else-you-do-plus-more.

And besides. . .
I have to keep up with my blog. It's my closest link to family and far away friends. If I lived closer, I probably wouldn't have time to blog at all because I'd be spending every spare moment hanging out with you.

Emily said...

Sheralie - you have no idea how many times I think to myself, "hmmm, what would Sheralie do?". You just might be the only person alive who can relate to my self-proclaimed mission (obsession)to perfect music performances within the church.

Jenny said...

What a great way to celebrate Christmas - three pageants! I'm glad they all worked out so well. Nice work. If you get time (right), I would love to get an email with both the primary and Christmas Eve programs attached. They're so perfectly put together.

Emily said...

Jen - of course I'll email the doc. to you. We missed you this year! Come visit Houston again SOON!!!!!