Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Playing Ketchup


We're back. Brigham has been barfing all night. poor poor Brigham. At one point I finally made a little bed for myself next to his so that I could manage the mess better and take care of him - all night. In the morning he thought I was cute sleeping curled up on the floor in a teeny-tiny baby blanket. Hey, I do what I can. It was just the kind of long relaxing sleep I needed too after driving (mostly by myself with the kids) for 13 hours then another 19 hours straight!

Long drives make Brigham sick we found out. (it's either that or gas station bathrooms - yuck.) Because he also threw-up all over the hotel room at Disneyland - after our 26-hour drive at the beginning of the trip. I wish I could just hang that "maid service" sign on my door like I did there. I've been doing laundry and scrubbing carpet all day.

The other kids are still in vacation mode and have been hounding me nonstop, "So, where are we going today? Huh? Huh? What are we doing that's fun today??? Huh? Huh?"

Honestly, I can barely keep my eyes open. And my kids really want to do something exciting and I really really really want to complain (blow-up) at them about how tired I am and how much cleaning and unpacking I have to do and how ungrateful they are blah blah blah. . . but I know that I'm just tired. So instead when Isaac asked for the hundredth time what we were doing today I contained myself and said in my most patient (but sort of irritable-ish) voice, "We're playing catch up today, kiddo. That's all we're doing."

To my surprise he jumped for joy and ran to find Clayton, "We're playing with ketchup today, Clay! Mom says we can play with ketchup!"

I laughed. . . so. . . hard.

And it felt amazingly good. So good that I actually let them go at it with the last few squirts of our nearly empty ketchup bottle. (hm, I really need to go to the store. . .)

(Look at these two - don't they take their craft seriously?)

All that aside, we had a fantastic vacation this last month. so many people. so many places. so many things I don't want to forget. I took a gazillion pictures which I'll narrow down (I promise) and post soon. very soon.

Until then, anyone know how to get out ketchup stains???



Ah. . . home sweet home.
.

7 comments:

Jenny said...

I love the ketchup story, but I'm so sorry about Brigs! I hope he gets well soon and you can ketchup on some sleep!

Sheralie said...

I missed you. Glad you are back. And jealous you went to my home too.

The Gunnerson Family said...

You are such a woman to take 4 kids on a solo cross-county drive! Of course, it doesn't suprise me because you are SUPERMOM! It was so good to see you again. Too bad Harry Potter didn't keep it's summer tradition. Oh well, it was still wonderful to sit and chat.

Mandy and Brian said...

I miss you all!! And guess what I found down at the ranch house....yup, the missing hat you were looking for.

Emily said...

Oh Man! I thought I looked EVERYWHERE! I miss you guys too. I'm dreaming of that cool canyon breeze and wishing I were still at the ranch.

NOBODY said...

LOVE the ketchup story. You really are a great mom. I wish I could get my kids to stop bugging me with ketchup.

Emily said...

Ha! It was short-lived. Believe me.