Thursday, October 21, 2010

Eliza's Last-Minute Party

I have been dreaming about pink balloons and flowery birthday cakes since the day Eliza was born. Two months ago I mentioned some of my elaborate pinkalicious party plans to Nate. He rolled his eyes and said, "Don't knock yourself out. She's one."
Yes, but. . . but. . . but she's only one ONCE!!!!

That was before Isaac's birthday. Clayton's birthday. Clayton's baptism. Doctor and dentist appointments for all the children and myself. That was before my boys (and my life) were introduced to cub scouts. That was before school, swimming, and soccer season began. That was before Brigham's teacher begged. BEGGED me to be the room mom. . . again. That was before I signed myself up for hours of volunteer work each week at the elementary school. That was before piano lessons (and practicing) ramped up to three kids. That was before Primary stuff completely overtook my computer desk, bedroom, kitchen, and brain.

So last weekend (or was it the weekend before? sheesh! life happens too fast.) while Grandpa Bill and Becca were in town, I planned on celebrating Eliza's birthday. And sadly that's as far as the planning went.

So late-late Saturday night, after zero time to think, prepare, make, or do anything cute, Becca and I went to the grocery store and bought a pre-made birthday cake and the only pink (ugly, pathetic, mostly deflated) balloon available. (which was on display in the card section and not really for sale but the nice lady gave it to me anyway.) And thanks to lots of birthday presents from Becca and from grandparents (which Becca wrapped in blue wrapping paper left over from the boys birthdays), and the totally deflated white balloons left over from Clayton's baptism. . . Eliza's birthday party was a smashing success.


She was thoroughly entertained by the deflated balloons. . .


completely mesmerized by the store-bought cake. . .


and utterly adored by all her guests.
(this picture cracks me up)


And yes, she enjoyed the cake every bit as much as she thought she would.


as did we all.





And here are the two heroes - king and queen of the weekend.



Eliza loved all her presents. . .


especially her pink princess skirt from Becca. (she's just checking the tag to make sure it's up to princess-par)


It definitely is. I'm predicting this pink frilly skirt will be one of her most-loved possessions for years to come. . .


Happy Birthday my little pinkalicious darling. I'm glad you loved your party - despite my total lack of preparation. I promise to "knock myself out" next year for birthday number two - the plans are already in the works! Ha!


.

5 comments:

Sheralie said...

Yes, that skirt is fantastic. What a treasure. And oddly enough, our little girl almost didn't have a first birthday party either. But she did and will have photos to remind herself that she is loved even though she won't remember.

Jessica McKay said...

Eliza is all grown up! She looks fabulous in the skirt. You can never have enough pink--you have years to come of pink parties. I'm glad to know that things don't always come together for you; it always seems like you are the perfect mom. My little one-year-old doesn't have pictures from her party--the camera got lost, so she'll just have the fond memories...HA!
(Did I tell you that Scott is interviewing at Texas Children's next weekend? Send up a prayer for us so we can come be your neighbors and Eliza and Naomi can be best friends!)

Allison said...

Oh. My. Adorable!!!! I'm sure you pulled off an unplanned party with all the flare of your other parties. Eliza looks so cute and so big.

Jenny said...

Oh Emily, your unplanned parties look more fun than my planned parties. I love the pictures and I love the video. My favorite parts are Isaac's kisses and cha cha chas throughout the song as well as Eliza's cute little voice at the end. She is so adorable as it is and then you put her in that skirt and I can't get enough pictures. I'm glad she has at least one aunt that dotes on her.

Nikki said...

So cute!! I love the skirt!! Happy birthday Eliza