My prayers have been answered. Isaac made it all the way through "Jolly Old St. Nicholas" without any meltdowns, explosions, or downright silliness. . . and without a single mistake.He performed at his first piano recital. . . and despite my anxiety and loss of sleep over this (Isaac is like a loose cannon. I never know, at any given moment, what to expect with him.) And despite that his teacher originally nixed him from the program because he spent more time making sound effects under the piano bench at his lesson than making music at the piano (she added him back on at the last minute when he called her the night before, apologized, and played his recital piece "nicely" over the phone). Despite the fact that he acted like he was at a rock concert (rooting, cheering, standing, waving, singing along) instead of a piano recital and was promptly directed to sit by me rather than with the rest of the performers. . .
Despite all that, when it came time to perform, he pulled it off masterfully. His posture was perfect. His playing was beautiful.
I am so proud.
My only regret is that my camera ran out of memory on Isaac's last note and stopped recording. So I didn't capture his crazy-man victory bow at the end with his arms high in the air like he'd just conquered Napoleon's army. . . and his million-dollar, melt-my-heart, top-of-the-world smile. (seriously one of my favorite moments of all time)I also missed Clayton's first two recital pieces (as I was frantically deleting stuff off my camera). At least I got the last one - his composition, "Ghostly Dance". Clayton is pretty predictable. He's poised and focused when he plays (except here when some little kid in the back got to the bottom of his sippy cup and everyone turned - including Clayton at the piano - when they heard the big slurp).
I tried to talk Clayton into choosing a different composition - something more Christmasy. Less Halloweeny. This is the one he picked. Oh well, just think "A Christmas Carol".

'Tis the season for Christmas music. . .
and I love Christmas music.
.
4 comments:
Nate was out of town and missed this recital. This is for you, honey.
Congratulations, Boys! Looks like a great recital. I hope they can give me a personal recital when we come to visit this Spring?
How can two chilren born of the same parents be so totally different? I ask myself the same thing almost everyday! Both of them did a wonderful job and I simply cannot wait until little Brig is in on the action. Noah keeps asking me when he can take piano lessons. Yikes! I just keep putting him off. More for the piano teachers sake then anything else.
Way to go Isaac and Clayton. I love watching videos of them playing and so does Brian!
Post a Comment