Lydia is 4 weeks old today. But the days and weeks and hours in the night seem to have blended together and I am amazed actually that it has been that long. There is something about having a baby that brings out the laziness in me - making me perfectly happy to sit on the couch for hours at a time and do nothing but stare at those tiny little toes. Life seems less urgent from my spot on the couch. And even though I am fully aware of the soggy cereal bowls on the table, the piles of unfolded laundry, the sink full of dishes, the clutter, and my endless to-do list (not to mention my four other children needing attending to) it feels nice for a change to just sit still and let the world stop for Lydia - warm and breathing in my arms.While I'm on the couch I watch Eliza who happily toddles about (blockaded in the room) mothering her baby dolls (feeding, burping, disciplining, and mimicking my every move) as well as exploring places I'd normally never let her explore (like the fireplace) and getting into things I'd normally never let her get into (like Isaac's paints and Nate's German literature). And when she's done doing that she has become obsessed with tidying things up. She closes every cupboard and every door. She brings me every "yucka" (crumb) off the floor. And moves everything from here to there - rearranging until she's satisfied it's all in the right place. She's awesome. The other day Nate left his sweaty clothes and shoes on the living room floor after exercising. She carried each item one by one to him "Here ya go". When he put them back on the floor, she picked them up again "Here ya go" and then thanked herself, "Gank you". I laughed so hard when I heard Nate finally give in, "Okay, fine Eliza. I'll put my stuff away." See? That's how awesome she is.
The boys have been enjoying their freedom as well now that I am a mostly-permanent fixture on the couch. They've figured out that as long as they keep running errands for me around the house, I'll stay put. Which means more time for battling ships in the bathroom sink and less time for piano practicing. It also means a lot more reading together and snuggling on the couch. Which we've all enjoyed.
But this post is supposed to be about our sweet little Liddybug. Here are few pictures Becca took when she was here. I'm telling you, this baby is beautiful from every angle. From the dark soft fuzz on her ears to her perfect little button nose. I just adore everything about her. The way her whole face wrinkles when she yawns. The way her dainty fingers unfold in slow motion. The way she squints when she opens her eyes. The way she molds herself into my arm - as light and soft as a feather. The way she smells - milky sweet and all mine.

Here she is with her curly hair just out of the bath.
Clayton and Isaac have been reading Harry Potter to her before bed. Isn't she a lucky girl?
I took some pictures of Lydia today with her eyes wide open (as promised). They look blue to me but with her dark hair, it's hard to tell if they'll stay blue. She just keeps getting cuter and cuter.Do you remember Eliza in this dress?



We all love our Liddybug
(and her beautiful open eyes).
We're so happy she's ours.


4 comments:
Oh, Lydia is so adorable! I wish I were there to kiss those toes and cheeks and fingers!
Cute kids. Keep up the good work.
I love how you perfectly described the wonderful smell, feel, and peace of a new baby. It almost has me convinced that I can do it this week. Even though it is my fouth time around, I am totally NERVOUS! Thanks for the reminder that sitting on the couch holding your baby is all that life has to be about for weeks and weeks! She is beautiful. I would sit and hold and look at her all day too.
I AM IN LOVE!!!!!!!! She is perfect-so very very perfect!
Post a Comment