Thursday, February 2, 2012

January 2012 Quote Book

Yesterday in church Brigham quietly passed a note across three people to Clayton. Clayton opened it, read it, and without looking up from his book passed it to Nate, who passed it behind three people to me. Throughout this whole exchange only two people exchanged looks: Nate and me. The note said,
"I'm betr then you"
and so it begins. . .


We had interviews with our kids today and gave Isaac a chance to ask us a question:
Isaac: Is there something you didn't know when you were my age that you know now?
Nate: Well, when I was your age I thought that being a leader just meant being the smartest one. But then I learned that's not enough.
Isaac: Yeah, like John Adams. He had to learn that too.
Nate and I just looked at each other. Yup.
Isaac: What about you mom? Is there something you didn't know when you were my age that you know now?
yeah. in first grade I didn't know a single thing about the founding fathers including that John Adams even existed. and that's just for starters.


Nate: What's your favorite subject in school?
Brigham: Um, I like small things. (referring to his collection of small stuffed animals)
if you know Brigham then you know this is true. "small things" trumps reading or math any day.


After popping balloons, playing Creationary, and toasting in the New Year, Nate announced that it was time for bed. Brig protested:
"But wait! I never got any toast!"


The other night I discovered pizza sauce splattered evenly down our front hallway. It was obviously done deliberately. When I questioned Isaac about it, he got all defensive.
It wasn't me! It was the robot!
yeah, right. I've heard that before. And then I noticed Clayton looking very sheepish.
Well, I figured out how to program it to pick something up and then dump it somewhere else.
great. just what I need in this household. another one of those!


Isaac and I were discussing the biggest family event coming in August 2012 - his baptism.
"I better get practicing my good behavior this year so that when I get baptized I'll be all ready for when being good actually counts."
that's right, son. practice. practice. practice.


Nate took the boys to the BYU bowl game in Dallas. Just as they were heading to the stadium he asked rhetorically, "So who's ready to see some football?" Brig replied,
"Not me. I'd rather see the BYU bowling game like we planned."
he honestly had no idea he was going to a football game.

2 comments:

The Gunnerson Family said...

Oh my, can your boys get any funnier? I love it. Maybe I can start my younger boys practicing being good for when it counts!

Pete said...

Awesome. Especially the bowling game.