Friday, January 18, 2013

Best Birthday Ever

We have pretty much been celebrating my birthday for a week straight. My parents flew in the day before my birthday and stayed with us for a few days on their way to Peru.  What perfect timing, right?  I couldn't have asked for a better birthday present.  We devoured my favorite double-chocolate-decadent cake and (as if having my parents in town wasn't enough) opened birthday presents.  I got a new camera!!! (thanks honey.  And goodbye nine-year-old ebay camera - and good riddance.)  I got some beautiful new pans!  (thanks mom, you've been in my kitchen enough to know how desperately I needed these.)  With my parents at home to watch the girls, I also found time to get my hair cut (a rare event that only happens when my mom visits).  It's short.  If you want to know that it looks like, here's a picture:
 (or so Eliza says)
I also went to the library alone (something that hasn't occurred since college).  And Nate and I went to see Lincoln.
 At home we spent time just enjoying each other.  The boys couldn't wait to show grandpa Tim all their toys.  They played chess, slot cars, flight simulator, Legos.  The girls played dolls and dress-ups with grandma. Every day was a party.  We ordered pizza.  I went out to lunch with my dad.  We left the kids with a babysitter one night and introduced my parents to the best Tex-Mex in town: Lupe Tortillas.
 
 I got my mom hooked on Downton Abbey.  Which she watched while folding all our laundry.
 My dad skyped with his co-workers in Peru (in Spanish - the kids were in awe).  My mom helped with homework, practicing, dishes, laundry - she even cleaned our microwave.  But mostly we just sat around talking.  And being.  Which is what I like to do best when family is around.  My parents are off to South America now (I hardly know what to do with myself) to conduct a training seminar in Trujillo before they venture off on their own into the Amazon jungle for two weeks. (yes, you heard me correctly). I really hope they come back.
 And if having my parents visit for my birthday wasn't enough. . . Guess who else came into town to see me?  Christine!!!
 She also did laundry and cooking. . . and babysitting.  See?  Don't you all want to come visit me??? The weather was beautiful and sunny.
 We took the kids out for frozen yogurt.  And then had a girls night out (with two other friends from BYU) at the Melting Pot.
 
 All in celebration of yours truly :)
And birthdays. . .

quite honestly. . .

just don't get any better than that.

2 comments:

The Gunnerson Family said...

Happy Birthday. And you are exactly right, birthdays don't get any better than that. It is nice that you get people doing amazing things for you since you are the one usually doing amazing things for others!

Mandy and Brian said...

I so wish I could have been there to celebrate your Birthday with you! It sounds lovely. I'm glad Mom and Dad could be there.