Eliza's friend was at our house talking about the zoo. Eliza was so intrigued,
"You mean, you've been to a real zoo?"
ouch. hmm, guess it's high time I take my girls on an outing that doesn't involve science or sports.
Clayton describing his game strategy:
"Don't worry, I've got a plan up my nose."
sleeve, kiddo. the phrase is up my sleeve.
Isaac came to me with this confession:
"Mom, there's something I did that I really really
regret. When I was all the way back in kindergarten I pretended to
spin around like a ballerina. All the kids thought it was so funny but to this day I've always
regretted that."
huh. yeah, I could see that.
I
had just put the girls in bed. Eliza was whining that she wanted this
and that and not that! but more of this. Oh, and could I read her
another book. Then Clayton needed me so I finally told Eliza quite
forcibly,
"The answer is no. It's late and I don't have time."
I realized as soon as I said it that Clayton had been holding out the phone. "Mom, it's for you."
oh. uhh. oops. "Helllllooooo?"
Nate's
counselor from church was shocked to be greeted so rudely and
apologized profusely for calling so late (it was 7:00) and that he was
sorry to be taking up my time.
Isaac came out of school today looking glum,
"My behavior wasn't that great today. Grrr, I just wish there was a cure for lack of willpower."
don't we all. don't we all.
Clayton
was reading an article in the National Geographic about the possibility
of bringing (cloning) animals back from extinction. He had never heard
of cloning before and came in to talk to me.
"Mom,
there are scientists that think they can bring extinct animals back to
life. But it wouldn't be the same animal it would be one just exactly
like it with the same DNA. But if they can do that, then they could do
that to like a pet. . . or a person. Huh. That doesn't sound right,
though. What if there were two of me? One would be me but the other
would be my exact body but without my spirit. It would be like a wild
animal Clayton or something. (chuckle chuckle) Weird. But wait! What
if someone got their arm cut off? They could make another arm! Huh, this
article is kind of interesting."
I didn't say a word. I
just stood there shocked. In 15 seconds that kid just completely buzzed
through every conceivable moral side of the issue. and then he tossed
the magazine aside and went on his merry way.
I was
explaining to the girls that we needed to go to the pet store. "Do you
want to see the animals at the pet store? Hamsters and fish and mice?"
"Oh yes! And unicorns?"ummm. no. sorry. nothing that exciting.
"Mommy can you go check your hiccup for some chiptack?"
huh? translantion: can you go check your make-up for some chapstick?
No comments:
Post a Comment