Monday, August 12, 2013

Animals Assembled

 Every summer is a Lego summer.  Every Christmas vacation is a Lego vacation.  This summer, in particular though, has been an explosion of Legos.  Legos have taken over.  They end up everywhere. In every room.  In every nook and cranny.  The kids spend every hard-earned dime on more Legos (how could we possibly need more?)  They bombard me throughout the day with stories and explanations of every new Lego space ship, dragon, contraption, catapult, vehicle, alien station, space rover, battleship, you name it, that they build. They live and breathe Legos. So you can imagine how pumped they were to see the new Lego exhibit at the Houston Zoo.  It was pretty darn awesome - even I'll admit.  And I'm not even all that crazy about Legos - well, at least not on the same scale of crazy as my kids.
 I mean, can you imagine the time and the thought that goes into these?  They are works of art.  Here's the Gorilla.
 I love that cute baby.
 The Meerkats.

 Fish tank.
 Penguins.
 A baby giraffe.
 19,400 Lego blocks.  This took 200 hours to build.
 The pink flamingos.  You can guess whose favorite these were.
 The zebra.  My favorite.  I can't imagine building something so beautiful using only the colors black and white.

 (with a little beige for the ears)
 The Lego tiger took the cake for the boys. 

 Look at this.  33,000 Lego bricks.  200 hours to build.  Amazing.
 We also saw the rest of the zoo that we missed at our last visit.  The train for example.

 It takes you on a nice long (slow, hot) ride around Hermann Park. It's a good way to see Houston's most famous monuments.

 Here are the kids looking at the Kookaburra birds.  They started singing the Kookaburra-bird-in-the-old-gum-tree song and these birds just went nuts squawking and screeching along.  It was hilarious.
 Brigham was nervous to put a coin in this bird's mouth.  He kept thinking it would bite him.

 Bald eagles are very serious birds.  Even in captivity.  This one really knew how to stare us down.
 Here's Eliza driving the ship.
 With Lydia as first mate (love this picture)
 And when we got too hot we couldn't stand it, we cooled off at the splash pad.




 In the end the kids were glad to be dragged away from their Legos to spend the day at the zoo.  We had such a fun time.

1 comment:

Emily said...

just noticed that, besides the eagle and the kookaburra, I didn't take any pictures of real animals. Oh well. They were there and we saw them. I promise.