Wednesday, November 20, 2013

October Books

Here's the lineup for October.  Late.  I know.  Sue me.

The Infinite Atonement - 4.5 Stars
This is an incredible book.  I can't even imagine the years and years of intense study that must have gone into this. Elder Callister has an incredible command of the scriptures.  This book was a feast.  I am realizing for the first time how much there is to the Atonement.  How much it entails.  How broad.  How important.  How grounding.  It is everything. This book has changed the way I read and understand the scriptures.  It's one I'd recommend again and again.

Harry Potter and Prisoner of Azkaban - 5 Stars
I love book 3!  I read this with Brigham but Clayton and Isaac always seemed to end up sprawled across the floor or inching into Brigham's bed whenever they heard us reading.  Why do I love book three?  Two words: Sirius Black.  That and the fact that Voldemort hardly shows up.  I also think Prisoner of Azkaban has the most unpredictable plot of any of the Harry Potter books. Brigham was spellbound!

And the Mountains Echoed - 3 Stars
I loved so many parts of this book - especially the ending.  It is a fascinating cultural look at Afghanistan before and after the Taliban.  There are several story lines that intertwine but it centers around two children: a sister and brother who are separated from each other.  The sister is adopted by a wealthy family in Kabul and ends up in Paris where she grows up, marries, has children, and receives her PhD. She lives a privileged but disconnected life. The brother is left behind with his father and extended family in an impoverished village in war-torn Afghanistan.  Reading about their stark lives made me think about humanity - and the need for family relationships.  There is a sweet urgency in this book to find family and connect generations.  One of my favorite parts is a conversation at the end of the book between the sister - now a 90-year-old grandmother - and her newly found niece - the daughter of her lost brother. “You will never say to yourself when you are old, Ah, I wish I was not good to that person. You will never think it.  Kindness is the one thing you will never regret.”
There were also quite a few parts that were depressing though and, quite frankly, uncomfortable.  Those parts didn't add to the story and could (should) have been omitted.  I would have rated the book much higher!
   
Dealing with Dragons - 4 Stars
How did I miss this series growing up?  My sisters and I were sitting around this summer chatting about our favorite books.  Dealing with Dragons was mentioned more than once. . . by more than one sister.  So I checked it out from the library and must say that I thoroughly enjoyed this unconventional fairytale.  It had me smiling, laughing, and cheering all the way through.  Can't wait to read this with my girls in a few years!

Picture Book Spotlight: Winnie The Witch
You really don't even have to read this book to fall in LOVE with Winnie the Witch - just look at the illustrations!  Love them. But you'll want to read it too because as cute and detailed as the pictures are, the story is just as charming. It's a good reminder to change and improve the things we can and appreciate and love the things we can't. Because after all, what else can you do when you live in a black house with black walls, black carpet, black furniture, and a black cat who constantly gets in your way. This book is funny, endearing, and ABRACADABRA good! It's my Halloween favorite!

No comments: