Well at least I can say I accomplished one of my 2013 resolutions. My goal was to write book reviews once a month. And I did. I read 52 books this year. Averaged out, that's a book a week. Pretty good, right? After looking back at what I read, I noticed an 18th century theme - "His Excellency George Washington", "Catherine the Great", "Benjamin Franklin", and "Evening in the Palace of Reason". It was fascinating to get to know these prominent historical figures - each finding their place in history around the globe at the same time! I made connections between lives, time, and geography in a way that I'd never made before. I also read some great juvenile fiction from Isaac's Name That Book list that I wouldn't have picked up otherwise like "Wonder", "Ghetto Cowboy", "Baby", and "Inside Out and Back Again" - books that change you. So after a year of book reviews, here are my top five picks:
1 - Wonder - best book overall. It wasn't a hard choice to pick this as my favorite. The kids and I reference this book constantly and even months later I still think about it. Still inspired, moved, and changed because of it.
2 - The God Who Weeps - the most profound religious book (besides the scriptures) I think I have ever read. A treasure I'd give to anyone of any faith.
3 - Covenant Motherhood - this book gave me a sweeter and deeper meaning of motherhood. It continues to enrich my life as a mother.
4 - Inside Out and Back Again - this book, written in prose, is more than a book. It's a work of art. Every word is beautiful and poignant. Simple. Deep. It's the kind of book that stays in your heart. Loved especially the authors note at the end.
5 - Summer of the Monkeys - of all the books I've read to my children over the years, this is still my favorite read aloud. I will never get tired of this story. Best ending to a book ever written.
No comments:
Post a Comment