Monday, May 26, 2014

Piano Recital 2014

 It's recital time again!  This is the payoff for all that practicing. . . practicing. . . practicing! These boys did a wonderful job last night and I am so proud of them (and myself) for keeping up with their busy lives.  Whew. . .it's a lot of work!
Here's Brigham playing "Teasing Song" by Bartok and "Musette" by Bach.  He's still just as fun to watch - especially when his teacher has to roll up his suit sleeves so his fingers can find the piano.  He was so into his book, Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing, that he hardly noticed when his name was called.  He sat up in surprise.  Marched up to play. And when he was done, as if he'd just had a minor interruption, plopped back down with his book until the recital was over.  The kid doesn't have a nervous bone in his body.
Isaac played "Minute in G Major" by Bach.  He pulled it off even though this piece was pretty difficult for him (it's Bach!).  His advice to an audience member afterwards on preparing for a piano recital is my favorite, "Here's how you get ready for a recital. First you learn all the notes at home.  Then you go to piano lessons and learn the technique and how to play it musically.  Then when you go the recital it's best to forget playing musically, forget the technique, just concentrate on playing the notes! Otherwise you might forget them. That's what I do."
He cut, glued, and colored about 800 Star Wars origami puppets during the recital.  All from his front row seat under the nose of his piano teacher.  That's quite an accomplishment.
Clayton played one of my favorite piano pieces, "Prelude in C minor" by Bach.  He makes it sound easier than it really is. (I can't even play the first two measures).  Clayton played it flawlessly.  He also played "Etude" by Kabalevsky.  Which starts like it's in the middle of a high speed chase and just gets faster from there.  The song is about a thousand notes and lasts about 30 seconds. Whew!  Go Clayton!  Next week he and Brigham will compete in the National Piano Guild Competition playing almost a dozen pieces each.  I am stressed!
All three boys received gold medals on the state music theory exam this year - and all with perfect scores.  I'm a proud momma.
But the best part of the recital is always the refreshments! 
This was Eliza's first time at a recital.  She was very wiggly and couldn't wait for it to be over.  Thank goodness for brownies or I might not ever convince this girl to take music lessons.
Congratulations on a job well done, boys!  You fill our home with wonderful and inspiring music!

2 comments:

Jessica McKay said...

Way to go! The music that your boys play is incredible. I loved hearing it and I'm so glad that you put it on the blog. I want to come over and listen to your afternoons of practicing. Can't we take a piano to the pool so they can practice there?

Jenny said...

Every time you post about piano recitals, I am blown away at how good your boys are.

I too want to come over and listen to your afternoons of practicing! How do you do it?