Friday, June 13, 2014

May 2014 Books

I've kind of been stuck in American history lately with Destiny of the Republic, Revolutionary Mothers, and a book about Lincoln on my night stand.  It's funny how I never get tired of reading  about America. I'm cocky that way.  I read a few other great books though in May - one set in Massachusetts, another in upstate New York, one in North Carolina, and one set in Yorkshire, England. Here's the lineup for May:

Revolutionary Mothers - 3.5 Stars
This was a fascinating look at the different roles women played during the American Revolution. We don't hear much about this side of history and, although I could have told you about Betsy Ross, Abigail Adams, and Molly Pitcher (who actually didn't even exist), I am embarrassed that I never considered the pivotal, desperate, and demanding struggles of so many mothers and wives during this long and bloody home-front war. Carol Berkin delves into the lives of housewives, spies, loyalists, African-Americans, Native Americans, women who took up arms to defend their homes or stood along side their husbands in battle, women who were held captive, women who played crucial strategic roles as spies, saboteurs, and diplomats, women who became nurses, camp followers, and war time morale boosters, women who single-handedly took over the management of farms and homesteads, and women who struggled to maintain a shred of normalcy after husbands, sons, and fathers died.  At a time when city streets became battlefields and homes became war zones the strength of women was desperately needed. This book captured the gravity of the Revolutionary War like nothing I've ever read before. So much, that it terrified me.  And made me constantly wonder if I'd be brave enough to endure such desperate times.

Three Times Lucky - 4 Stars
I read this with Clayton and Isaac.  It's a murder mystery teeming with eccentric characters, full of wisdom and life lessons, and dripping with Southern charm.  It's not quite "To Kill a Mockingbird" but "Three Times Lucky" definitely earned that Newbery.  This book spearheaded lots of great discussions about loyalty, trust, and the strength of a persons character.  My boys also got a tiny, but not so great, look at the scary and devastating effects of alcoholism. This book is not for young children, but then again, neither is To Kill a Mockingbird.

Destiny of the Republic 3.5 Stars
This book is sad but really well-written and researched. It is the tragic story of the assassination (and subsequent medical malpractice) of President James A. Garfield, who I learned was quite an incredible man! Did you know he never even intended to run for president? He won the nomination by write-in votes.  He was an honest, poor, and hard-working farm boy who grew to be a thoughtful scholar, Civil War hero, and influential congressman.  Garfield was an advocate for human rights.  He was a compassionate leader.  He was only in office for 200 days - 80 of those were spent lingering with infection from the gunshot wound - but the American people loved him. And it is an absolute tragedy that our nation never did get the full benefit of his presidency. This book takes a look at an interesting chapter in U.S. history- an age of corrupt politicians,  skepticism toward technology and medical advancements, and post Civil War challenges. One of the most fascinating characters in all this was Alexander Graham Bell, who invented the telephone just five years earlier. He abandoned everything he was working on - put his own life on hold - to try to save Garfield's life, a man whom Bell greatly admired and respected.  He invented a metal detector that would have successfully located the bullet in Garfield's body had he been permitted by doctors to use it fully.  In the end it was sorely realized that Garfield was shot by a deranged assassin (who I didn't like reading about) but killed by the doctors who tried to save him.

The Secret Garden - 5 Stars
I read this with Clayton and Isaac because I knew I'd never get them to read it on their own - too girlish.  But it's a classic!  And I love it. And my mom read it to me when I was their age.  I wish I'd taken some theater classes though to get my Yorkshire accent right.  I wasn't the greatest read-alouder when it came to Martha and Dicken.  But the boys (surprisingly) enjoyed the story nonetheless and picked up some gems of wisdom along the way.  I love The Secret Garden.  Did I mention that? It's like an old friend. "If you look the right way, you can see that the whole world is a garden."

Farmer Boy - 4 Stars
I read this with Brig and Eliza.  Farmer Boy is the second book in the Little House on the Prairie series.  I'd forgotten what great history lessons these books are. With plenty of illustrations, they are great for younger children.  Eliza is charmed by them. I liked Farmer Boy even better than the first  one.  It's all about a boy and animals. . . having one adventure after another.  Brigham loved it.

The Penderwicks - 3.5 Stars
This was a great book to kick off the summer. It's storytelling at its best with a whole lot of old-fashioned charm.  Having grown up with all sisters, I would have adored The Penderwicks as a kid - Practical Rosalind, feisty Skye, romantic Jane, and little Batty who wears butterfly wings everywhere, even to bed. Add a loveable dog named Hound, two rabbits, a boy in need of a friend, and a summer vacation gone awry and you're bound to have a great adventure.  Isaac's rating for The Penderwicks is also a 3.5.  He says, "It's not really an action book but the characters are interesting and funny and it's still a really good story.  Skye is my favorite."


Picture Book Spotlight: Pride and Prejudice
Have you seen these board books?  Oh. My. Goodness.  I am in love.  I picked this one up at Target for my English Lit sister (and her one-year-old Eleanor) but you can find all Jennifer Adams other baby classics at www.babylit.com/shop-books. I love these books so much. . . I just wish they were my idea! Seriously.  Does it get any cuter?






1 comment:

Jessica McKay said...

I really enjoy reading your book reviews. You say it all so well. I like that we read the same book and never discussed it. Maybe that should scare me a bit. The P&P is one of my FAVORITES.