Eliza was looking at an old photograph of my sisters and me:
"Mom, you should've growed white hair so you could be pretty like your sisters."
an entire lifetime of insecurities. just tapped.
Lydia in Clayton's bathroom smearing deodorant on her lips:
"I put dapdick on, Mommy!"
Lydia in my bathroom with black mascara streaks up her cheeks and all over her hair:
"I put or makeup on, Mommy!"
Lydia in her bathroom squirting soap on the toothbrushes:
"I put toofpaste, see?" (tastes it, scowls.) "No, dis is not toofpaste."
Lydia in my bathroom again with the dental floss completely unraveled:
"I getting my teef out."
Lydia in the downstairs bathroom dipping and mopping the toilet seat with a bath towel:
"I make mess but now I queen it."
"Wow, you really must've missed us Dad. Because you played soccer with us and made scrambled eggs for breakfast and grilled hot dogs for dinner."
it's the little things. . . and yes, he did miss us.
Eliza was just finishing up a note to Isaac, "Oh, Isaac's really gonna love this!" So I glanced over to see what she'd written. The note said:
"Isaac Bum Bum Bum Bum Bum Bum Bum Bum Bum"
Then she held it up to me smiling and then, pointing to each Bum, sang Darth Vader's Imperial March.
Nate
took Lydia to the doctor. On the way he reassured her by telling her
not be scared, that he would be with her. She said okay. . . and then
after awhile asked,
"Daddy? Are there monsters at the doctor?"
"Daddy? Are there monsters at the doctor?"
Eliza was playing "Mommy" with her dolls. She came up to me with "children" in each of her arms and announced,
"I'm teaching my children today. But how do moms teach their children?"
My heart swelled! "With love, kind words, and a lot of patience." I beamed.
"And with chocolate chips? And Skittles?"
okay, fine. and sometimes that too.
We were in a rush to get out the door when Isaac yelled,
"Wait! We can't leave yet! Brigham is in a body-bind and I don't know the counter-spell!"
we
never did find the counter-spell so Brigham hopped like a spring out to
the car and then remained with his arms and legs bound through the
duration of Lydia's speech class. it's tough being a wizard.
I was making preparations for Isaac's Harry Potter party and talking to myself, ". . . and then I'll make the chocoalte frogs."
Lydia overheard and looked at me confused,
"Chocolate fwogs? Dat is weird. Dose are not fo eating!"
one day, my little underage wizard, you too will understand the magic of chocolate fwogs.
Eliza was looking through a "history of flight" encyclopedia when she came across a picture of Mary Poppins.
Eliza: Mom, who's that?
Me: What? Truly I've failed you. You don't know who Mary Poppins is? Eliza, you'd like Mary Poppins.
Eliza: I would? Is she very princessful?
princessful? nope, not in the least. but she'd like that word.Lydia talking about her first day of preschool:
Me: Did you have fun?
Lydia: yup.
Me: Did you play outside?
Lydia: yup.
Me: Did you make any new friends?
Lydia: wots and wots of fwends.
Me: What else did you do?
Lydia: I went potty two times. I wash my hands two times.
Me: Wow, what else?
Lydia: Nuffing. Just pwojects.
sounds like a great day to me. potty and projects. preschoolers have the best life.
Eliza's report about school.
Eliza: Something really really scared my teacher today. She was sooooo scared.
Me: What?
Eliza: Somebody. . . (eyes wide) standed. . . on their. . . chair!
scary things happen everyday. apparently even in Pre-K.
Eliza, out of the blue:
Mom, you are lucky that Heavenly Father gave-ded you five children. You are so happy to got all of these kids.
it's true. I might just be the luckiest mom alive. . .

No comments:
Post a Comment