
31 Things I Love About My Man of 31
1 - His intellect. Nate's brain was one of the first things that attracted me when we first met. Years later when we started dating, I found myself craving conversation with him. I love the intellectual stimulus he brings into my life. Really, he has something interesting to say about everything.2 - His sentimentality. Nate is more sentimental than I am. He remembers where he was in life when he bought every item of clothing. He is often seen teary-eyed during fast and testimony meeting. And he especially values letters, books, pictures, and other items connected with family.
3 - His compassion. Nate goes out of his way to use his talents to help other people. Whether it's a grandmother on welfare, or his wife on the verge of a nervous breakdown, his love for other people propels him to action.
4 - His problem-solving skills. Unlike my haphazard way of solving problems, Nate is really good at researching, thinking, and finding the best solution to a problem before he acts. And then he acts quickly and thoroughly. It's amazing.
5 - His talent for writing. Nate and I can both attest that we would not be married if it were not for his impeccable writing talent. It was that eight-page letter he wrote so eloquently that started this whole thing.
6 - His way with words. If you have ever been around Nate, you know what I'm talking about. He has an amazing command of the language. I could listen to him talk for hours - oh wait. I do.
7 - His ability to absorb information. Nate retains everything he reads. He can also sort it all out with reason and incredible understanding.
8 - His ability to speak. His convocation speech at BYU still influences the way I think about serving others. He is a powerful speaker.
9 - His integrity. Nate is a man of his word. He deeply cares about saying and doing the right thing - never misleading. He takes his church callings seriously as well as his duty as an influential citizen.
10 - His appreciation for Jane Austen. C'mon, how many guys do you know who can watch, read, and insightfully discuss Jane Austen? Nate can and does. Thanks honey! You are my Mr. Darcy.
11 - His knowledge and appreciation of good music. Music has become such a rich layer in our relationship.
12 - His love of reading. He loves it more than talking to me.
13- His outspoken nature. Nate is not afraid to express his opinion - even when he is in the minority.
14 - His determination to be thorough. This is one of his greatest strengths. He crosses every "t" and dots every "i" - ALWAYS.
15 - His ability to enjoy the moment. I love that Nate rarely brings work home (literally and figuratively) When he is here, he is 100% husband and dad. He genuinely loves just being home. It's fun to see him as a regular football guy sometimes.
16 - His imagination. I love watching the silly and adventurous games he plays with the kids. Now I know where they get their love for pretend play.
17 - His ability to easily admit mistakes. He has always been good at saying "I'm sorry". (which has saved our marriage on multiple occasions) He can also easily laugh at himself and change for the better.
18 - His understanding of gospel concepts. Nate is grounded in the gospel. He has a multi-layered understanding of gospel principles yet he can explain them so simply.
19 - His sense of humor. Just the other night he had us both laughing so hard our faces were both red and crying. He's hilarious!
20 - His ability to eat anything. Including a can of pumpkin for breakfast and week-old leftovers. (This comes as a necessity, being married to a kitchen-phobic.)
21 - He can see and discuss every side of an issue. It must be a lawyer thing.
22 - He is unflappable. Nate is intense but rarely frazzled. He seems to keep a straight head even in moments of disaster.
23 - He is a man with a cause. He is determined to improve society, our country, and the world. I love watching him in action!
24 - He is a doer. For someone who is so good at thinking, Nate is equally good at just getting things done. He can be a real work horse!
25 - He is a natural leader. You don't have to be around him very long to figure that out.
26 - He is a teacher. When he taught the 9-year-olds in primary, I remember being so impressed with his natural teaching ability. During a group game, an especially nerdy kid in his class was bragging about getting all the answers right for his team. Nate pulled him aside and said, "Listen. If you brag, the only thing your team will remember is that you bragged. But if you don't, they'll go home remembering that they won - and all because of you." It was exactly the right moment and the perfect lesson to teach.
27 - He pushes me to be better. Nate is a hard person to complain to. He'll listen and think and occasionally reprimand. But he won't let me be complacent. When I was teaching in Chicago, he gave me some of my best teaching and management ideas. He just expects excellence.
28 - He is an amazing dad. He just has a sense of what each child needs or would interest them.
29 - He is my biggest fan. Yes, he thinks I am unstoppable.
30 - He is an honorable and worthy priesthood holder. What could be worth more?
31 - Nate is the love of my life. Being married to him is better than I could have ever imagined. I am so lucky!
11 comments:
Happy Birthday Nate! We miss you guys!
Happy Birthday Nate!
Em, that was so beautifully written! What a great tribute to the birthday boy :)
(And I hope you have already started your "29 things I love about Sara" list. You have about 6 weeks to finish it :)
True. True. Happy Birthday Nate.
Nate says, "you forgot my proofreading ability." (after pointing out a few typos and mistakes)
Awww, happy birthday Nate. I can really see all of those things in Nate when I am with him. What a great guy! (and if I ever want anything proofread I know who to call now too)
Laughter on the proofreading comment. Today I was out and about just thinking about stuff and it occurred to me that number 26 Nate kind of gets from his Dad. There have been multiple times when Nate has made plain the obvious to everyone else, but not obvious to me, basic mechanics of social grace. I've seen him in action with others as well.
Em, that was so sweet. You inspire me to look more for the good in my husband that the things he does that seem to get on my nerve. I wish we lived closer so I could get to know Nate, you make him sound wonderful! BTW, I didn't notice any typos, I was too engrossed with the content of your message.
If you're wondering why Isaac is looking so sad in that last picture, it's because some kid at the top of the slide dropped a huge sharp rock on Isaac's head while he playing in the wood chips below.
Happy Birthday! So did Nate go on his mission to Germany? What part and what years? Jamie was in Munich. They probably overlapped.
He was in Frankfurt. He and Jamie should practice up on their German together sometime.
Post a Comment