I don't have many thoughts about conference because even though I "watched" all four sessions with our newly acquired DirectTV and with the volume on super loud, I still missed about eighty percent due to my dear children who need drinks and meals prepared, messes cleaned, bums wiped, hands washed, clothes and diapers changed, blankets found, doors opened, lids closed, bumps and bonks kissed, rules enforced, screaming hushed, fights mediated, and CONSTANT ATTENTION. This is not to mention the aftermath of "preoccupied mommy"and the clean-up involved. In addition to the above list, I also scrubbed green marker off our recently cleaned carpets, mopped up three gallons of water in the kitchen, wiped syrup off every chair and surface imaginable, rescued Brigham from the bathtub fully clothed, and swept a few buckets of sand from the house back into the sandbox.I did hear Elder Ballard's talk, however. Can I just frame that????? After feeling frustrated (to say the least) his talk was a fresh reminder to acknowledge and enjoy those few but precious moments that make parenthood worth it. Thankfully I can read the talks I missed today later (or watch them - did you know DirectTV records stuff?) But Clayton's bedtime prayer tonight "Please bless Isaac to not be naughty and bless Mommy to sleep a long time so she will be happy and bless Daddy not to have too much stress. . .", and Brigham's superhuman enthusiasm for Ring-Around-The-Rosies, and cuddling with and accommodating Isaac, Blue Blankie, Chitty Bang Bang, and Pabla (Isaac's imaginary monster) for story time - These moments can not be re-played.
So tonight I took Elder Ballards advice and instead of running my kids through my rigidly structured bedtime machine: dinner-bath-books-bed, I enjoyed an extra game and some laughter after Family Night, a few extra stories with Isaac, a detailed explanation of Clayton's "science experiment" with Daddy, and lastly I enjoyed and even encouraged the "bath hair".
Being a mom is a lot of hard work, preparation, and worry. It's also sometimes sweet, enjoyable, and highly entertaining.
...................................................
Favorite Conference Quote:(besides the real stuff, of course)
After telling Isaac to "be quiet I'm trying to learn", he leaves and tells Clayton:...................................................
Favorite Conference Quote:(besides the real stuff, of course)
"Be quiet, Cwayton. Mommy is twying to wearn how to watch TV. But we alweady know how to do that, huh Cway!"
6 comments:
Amen! Well said. I also loved the opening prayer Sat morning blessing mothers . . .
Ditto!!! Thank goodness for the internet and the Ensign where we can read or listen to the talks we missed. Love the kids' bath hair!
I just bawled during Elder Ballard's talk. Thankfully, that was one of the two or three talks I did hear from start to finish sans any interruptions!
My favorite quote from conference (I mean what I heard of conference) was from Elder Ballards talk "You know you love them, (speaking of your children) make sure they know you love them." I just looked at my sister and we exchanged a knowing smile. I am also very glad for the internet and the conference edition on the Ensign so I can actually know what was said. It has been a good 6 years since I have paid much attention. In fact it has been exactly 6 years because Luke was born conference weekend of 2002 and I didn't pay much attention then either!
P.S. loved the bike story. Clayton sure looks happy with his new bike.
Elder Ballard's was my favorite too. Like you, I didn't get to hear much of conference due to the kiddos. Thank goodness for the Conference issue of the Ensign, and for the internet. So we don't have to wait for the Conference issue!
Seriously- I LOVE dvr. We try to watch conference, but it's so great that you can turn it on after the kids are in bed. Actually, we do that with the majority of "our shows".
Love the bath hair too!
Post a Comment