Friday, April 4, 2008

The Story Of A Little Boy And His Bike

Once upon a time there was a little boy who wanted a bike for his 5th birthday. But his mom didn't want him to have a bike because, besides the little boy, she had a three-year-old who still couldn't pedal and a one-year-old who still couldn't walk. She didn't want the little boy zooming around outside by himself and she thought it quite impossible to lug the younger kids on bicycle outings. So she told the little boy that he wasn't old enough. "Bikes are for six-year-olds" she said.
The little boy believed his mom. But just in case she was wrong, (because sometimes he saw kids riding bikes who looked younger than six) he started doing jobs to buy a bike for himself. After six months he had $11.88 but that was not enough to buy a bike. Then a terrible thing happened. One day the little boy came home from school with a yellow note folded up inside his hand. He was very sad and he didn't want to show the note to his mom. His mom thought the little boy got in trouble at school and she tried to talk to him. But the little boy was too sad to talk. Finally he handed the note to his mom. When his mom opened the note she saw that it was an entry form for the preschool Bike-A-Thon. All the children were to bring their bikes to school to raise money for new picnic tables. The little boy had heard the other kids talking about their bikes and he began to cry.
So the mom took the little boy to Target and was surprised to find a little red bike just his size for only $26.99. So the little boy paid $11.88 for the bike and the mom said she would pay the rest if the little boy finished his reading chart. Which he did. And the little boy finally had a bike and he was happy.

The end.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so cute! I hope he is just loving his new bike. How fun!

Sara @ Our Best Bites said...

Oh,that is the cutest story ever!

Stephanie said...

That story was so cute. I just keep thinking about him holding the yellow paper being too sad to talk. I'm glad the story ended happy and he has a bike. I know what you mean about dreading the bike outings with younger siblings in tow!

Anonymous said...

"Expect More Pay Less" I love that Target! I am with the Mom in the story not wanting a bike yet, but my Millie is like the little boy and I'm sure Daddy will be buying a bike before no time. Congratulations on the new bike!

Addison

Nikki said...

That is a great story. Ian got that same bike for his 5th birthday. :) If you have a double stroller stick the 2 younger boys in and let Clayton ride while you push the stroller. We have done that many times. It works, but a lot of times we only make it halfway down the street before Ian is screaming at Noah because he was "beating" him. Ahh kids.

Emily said...

Thankfully Isaac can pedal now and Brigham can walk. And both boys can keep up with the best of 'em on the tricycle and the push-firetruck.

But I am glad to hear I'm not the only wimpy mom who dreads managing the bicycle/tricycle/firetruck outings. We're quite the parade these days!

Unknown said...

Wow, Clayton too sad to talk, that is too sweet! I've been working on a design for a triple tandem bike for adults... I'll have to start working on a kid size one.

Emily said...

I just tried the double stroller idea this morning down by the lake - how fun! Thanks Nikki.

Ha ha - Mark. I love all your inventions. That's why my kids think you are "Mr. Potts".
I was actually just missing our old ranch "double bike" so I'm glad to hear you've been working on a replacement.

NOBODY said...

The little yellow note part was so tender and sad!

This could be turned into a parable you know...

Emily said...

Ha ha - you heard the bicycle parable too??

(In case you managed to live your whole life and not hear the famous "mormon" parable three or four times in sacrament meeting - I'm sure you can look it up. I think the original was by Steven Robinson.)

Sheralie said...

what a nice story. i just adore you writing style. and i adore clayton. what a sweet boy.

Gina Rochelle said...

So cute! I'm trying to work out the bike riding details myself. We live on a hill that Emma can't take on by herself. Weston has a trike but can't pedal yet (he scootches along with his feet or I'd push if I had any arms left) and Andrew can't walk. I don't have a car either to take our bikes somewhere else. So my kids resort to riding around in the basement which is why they are glowing with whiteness.

Christina said...

so cute!