"Which parent do you think I like better?"
I think you love us both the same.
"Nope. You're wrong. (practically singing) I like Daddy better because he plays with me."
Oh yeah? Well, I play with you too. (my feelings were crushed)
"Well, I like Daddy because he plays wrestling with me and he never tells me, Get in your pajamas right now!"(I'm amazed he can imitate my voice so well)
After reading a book about a girl who won't wake up in the morning until she smells pancakes cooking, Clayton sighed and said:
"Mmmmmm, I would wake up if I smelled pancakes. But only if they were Daddy's pancakes. If you made pancakes, Mom, I'd just stay asleep."
Clayton is also really excited to visit Grandma Melissa this summer. She's way cooler than I am (or at least has way cooler stuff). And apparently also makes better pancakes.
"I just can't wait to go to Utah! I wish I lived with Grandma Melissa all the time. Cuz I like Grandma better than you. She has a trampoline and a forest and a six-wheeler. . . and she knows how to make pancakes in whatever shape I say. She makes pancakes a lot better than you, mommy."
I started singing like 3 seconds of a Chitty Bang Bang song today when Isaac interrupted, yelling:
"No! Mommy! Not like that! That's not how Mr. Potts sings it! You can't sing it like that! STOP SINGING!!!! Grrrrrrrrr. . . (pouting) I like the way Mr. Potts sings it better. . ."
At Home Depot Isaac had a total meltdown when I made him take turns with Clayton driving the shopping cart car. He started YELLING:
"You're not my Mommy anymore! I want A BETTER MOM! No! No! No! I don't want to take turns! I want a better mommy than you! Bad! Bad! Bad! Aahhhhhh!"
Like who? Who would be a better Mommy?
Clayton will tell you.
"I think Diego's Mom is a better mom. Diego's mom lets him go out in the jungle all by himself!"

10 comments:
Mothers may feel they receive little or no appreciation for the choice they have made... we have enormous respect and gratitude to you mothers of young children. ~Elder M. Russell Ballard
Children are a great comfort in your old age - and they help you reach it faster, too. ~Lionel Kauffman
Ha Ha! I LOVE that last quote. Thanks for the encouragement, Jesse - just what I needed.
Ouch!! I feel your pain.
Yea, one thing I don't get is if daddy's are so cool then why don't you yell their name when you need help "wiping" in the bathroom??
I feel like that a lot. Ammon's favorite thing to tell me is "I am not inviting you to my birthday party anymore!" Okay buddy whatever you wouldn't have a birthday if it weren't for me.
Oh how quickly kids forget who dress them, bathe them, keep clean clothes in their closets, feed them, read with them, clean up after them, take them to the park, swimming lessons, classes and activities, McDonalds, the zoo and museums.
How quickly they forget all the forts, tunnels, and train tracks I helped them engineer, and the bike rides and walks. How quickly they forget the jokes and talks and fun cooking PANCAKES! together.
The truth is: My kids have me ALL THE TIME - I'm not a novelty and never will be. I'm the mom - the disciplinarian, teacher, entertainer, referee, housekeeper, manager, nurse, therapist, activity coordinator, and friend all rolled into one.
I'm not looking forward to the day when Jordie starts telling me things like this.
I totally understand what you are saying. Just the other day I took the boys to the BYU Earth Science museum and thought they were having a great time until I said it was time to leave. Luke looked at me with a grinch on his face and said, "Well, that wasn't much of a museum. It was only two rooms." Right after that I took them to lunch and when I came to the table with the milk shake to share I again got the grinch look as Luke said, "You should've gotten a large." Sometimes I wonder why I even try!
I think kids are a little like all of us, we never appreciate what we have unless it is gone. Believe me, if you weren't with your boys for any length of time they would be longing for your pancakes, jokes, and singing.
Oh Em, I probably said the same things to mom, and now I think she is the most wonderful mom in the world! If it makes you feel any better you were always a GREAT sister. You let me hang out with you and your friends, you let me come stay with you at BYU, and you always made me feel like I was pretty darn cool. So thanks!
For what it is worth, I think you are an excellent mom. Holy cow! I love all the videos, books, etc. that you do. That is above and beyond good mommy standards.
It was nice in Vegas with both grandmas close by, but boy did that make me the unpopular one! Just do what I did Emily, use Elder Ballard's talk for FHE and tell everyone that you're great and they have to be nice to you, dangit!
Post a Comment