Sunday, September 21, 2008

Clayton's Birthday That Almost Wasn't

Today is the Fall Equinox. It's also Clayton's Birthday. He is officially six today but has been planning his birthday events for the last six months. Here's his original itinerary:

1 - Celebrate in Houston with a "space-themed" party.
2 - Make a to scale "solar system" cake.
3 - Visit the NASA Space Center.
4 - Get a ton of presents.
5 - Invite Friends from school.
6 - Ride on a real space shuttle into space.

But since the NASA Space Center in Houston is flooded and all Clayton's friends evacuated and we are still in Dallas awaiting word from Houston to return to our dwelling. AND since six-year-olds are not allowed to ride on real space shuttles into space, we celebrated (yesterday) with a "solar system" cake designed by the birthday man himself, a family outing to Chuck-E-Cheese, six awesome presents, and a ride on the newest coolest "space" scooter EVER!

Check out these six (plus one) great birthday pics.






Now that Clayton is six he has some words of advice to the whole world:

1 - You should always look at your watch so that you don't accidentally miss your bedtime. Because if you don't get enough sleep then you might turn into a "Mommy Monster". But not kids. Kids never turn into mommy monsters.

2 - If you're really good in church and tell the Bishop what you learned in Primary then you get to pick a treat from the Bishop's Store House. But not all Bishop's have a Store House. Only the good ones.

3 - If you're ever scared that a meteor might destroy the earth than you should just pray because Heavenly Father is really good at making new earths.

4 - It's okay to break a rule as long as you tell the truth. You should always tell the truth. . . like me.

5 - If you want to be healthy you should just close your eyes when you go to the store that way you won't see all the cookies and the fruit snacks.

6 - When you turn six that means you're really super strong.

Happy Birthday to my
Super Strong Super Cool Space Dude
Clayton Man!

-

14 comments:

Christina said...

The bishop's storehouse! That is so funny. Man, he is a wise kid. That one one being healthy is really great advice. I should try it. The cake is amazing. Good job on being super-evacuated-and-making-the-best-of-it mom.

Nikki said...

Happy Birthday Clayton. Ian will be six in less than a month. I'd forgotten that they were born around the same time. I loved the Bishop's storehouse comment!

The Gunnerson Family said...

Well, this is a birthday that Clayton will never forget! It sounds like you had a lot of fun despite Ike's best efforts to ruin the day. As for Clayton's wisdom; truly words to live by.

Sara @ Our Best Bites said...

Happy Birthday big C!

I love that cake too, Em. What a cute idea!

Unknown said...

Happy birthday big fella! That was a sweet solar system cake!

Allison said...

Awww, tell Clayton happy birthday! I'm glad he got his solar system cake even if he didn't get to ride a real space shuttle into space.

Jenny said...

Happy Birthday Clayton! It was a nice cake it still seemed like a VERY fun Birthday even though he didn't get all his wishes granted! I hope you can get back to Houston soon.

Mandy and Brian said...

Happy Birthday Clay-dog!!

Cami said...

My favorite advice from Clayton: "If you're ever scared that a meteor might destroy the earth than you should just pray because Heavenly Father is really good at making new earths."

Looks like Clayton had a great birthday.

Stephanie said...

Way to improvise and make Clayton's birthday tons of fun. I am always impressed by his comments...he is very smart and funny!

Anonymous said...

i love number 5 on his list - just close your eyes so you can be healthy! That's great! The cake is really cute.

Liz said...

Happy Birthday Clayton! Thanks for the Brilliant Advice! You should have your own radio show!!!

becca said...

Aww tell him Happy Birthday from those of us in Seattle! I hope his birthday present arrived in time, even if it was cardless! Looks like a fun birthday, despite the setbacks.

I love all the pictures, especially the one of brigham looking up at the balloons- too cute!

Gina Rochelle said...

Oh the wisdom of youth! I nominate your kids to make a new "Everything I need to know I learned in Primary/Kindergarten" list. Love the cake/cupcakes!