

For years - like since the day we were married - we have been talking about putting money away for a piano - okay, so mostly it has been just me talking (whining incessantly). And we actually had some money saved up. Until the early Spring of '08 when our (unofficial) Piano Fund turned into the Romney for President Fund. Grrrrrrr. . . But I'm not bitter. Because honestly, I am utterly and helplessly wooed by a man with a cause!And I'm not talking about you, Mitt.
So when Clayton turned six, Grandpa Bill and Grandma Kappy gave Clayton a piano bag with a hand-made certificate for piano
lessons. (Muchas Muchas Gracias - I will love you forever!) Which meant we needed a piano - and SO WHAT! if it's my Christmas and birthday present for the next 50 years. There was no getting around it. The cash was forked (thanks honey - kiss, kiss, kiss) and Voila! Our brand new perfectly beautiful baby, I mean piano, was delivered today - our only item of furniture in the house.Maybe we'll get a card table soon so we can sit down for dinner when we can afford it. A card table, that is. (Don't worry, mom. we can afford dinner.) But I'll gladly sit on the floor for a hundred years just to stare and drool at MY beautiful, smooth, delicious piano!!!!
Ahhhhh. . . I can't WAIT to hear those adorable little fingers practicing-practicing-practicing!
2) This New Habit
And definitely not funny at Stake Conference! Sorry to all you people in nice dresses and suits who accidentally sat on the fold out chairs with BLUE hand prints! I would have been watching my kid more closely but I didn't know he sneaked a marker to church in his pants pocket! And I was way too absorbed in the talk about only spending money on important things.Like pianos.
And speaking of important things and more new habits. . .





20 comments:
Oh YAY!!! I am so glad you finally got your piano! I love all the pictures, especially the one of all three boys from the back- too cute. The one of Isaac licking the cube of butter is priceless. The kid is definitely a Smith...
Love the new piano. I feel your pain about marker writing and butter eating. Oh and can I add cheese block eating also. Just tonight when Ammon was supposed to be sleeping he snuck in my closet, climbed to the top shelf and got the markers and colored on himself. What is the fascination with markers?
we are still just having issues with crayons. we haven't entered the marker phase yet! love the piano by the way so jealous!
Congratulations! I am so jealous . . . I have no clue why I sold mine ??? I am really really happy for you.
Last year,the kids used markers to make themselves "kitties." Cute. Two days later, we couldn't get the stuff off, it was time for the big Christmas Eve party, and Samuel's marker was just enough to make him look ill. People kept asking if he was okay. Two weeks ago, it was black marks like football players have. Geez. Nice piano!
I will now show Jake that you have one and beg for one also. I have been begging for a while. Hopefully I am as lucky as you one day! Enjoy!!!
I know you've wanted a piano for years! I'm soooo glad you finally got your wish! I can see Clayton really enjoying learning to play, and maybe Isaac would too if he ever grows out of the blue and buttery fingers stage. Hopefully Clayton can play me a song when I come in December!
I forgot to say I can't wait to hear Brig's version of Twinkle Twinkle again on your very own piano! He's already pretty good and I'm sure he'll learn pretty quickly with a piano to play at home.
We are fortunate enough to have inherited Rick's parents old piano when they got a new one a few years ago, and I am so glad that we did! It is so fun to have one in the house and to have Luke take piano lessons. Even though it has been a pain to move (from Utah to Oklahoma to Las Vegas and back) and store (every time we live with my parents) I am so glad that I have one. I know you and your little guys are going to love it.
Those boys are always coming up with something to keep you on your toes! I love the butter shot! I hardly ever have butter out or on things, so I don't even think my boys would know where to find it. (I know, I know, my mom thinks I am depriving my children of all the good things in the world.)
A piano is an important investment right? Just remember that when the pounding and plinking of little hands seems never ending and you feel like saying, as Dad once did to me, "Does it ever stop?" I am so grateful that I grew up in a home with a piano, and a home full of the love of music. I'm sure the boys will be grateful too.
Ha ha ha! Great comment, Boo!
I totally remember when Dad said that. . . Ah, the memories of all those hours, days, years of practicing-practicing-practicing!
I wouldn't trade it for anything.
That's why I went with an electric piano you can just plug headphones in, that and they are a lot cheaper. With Jenny running the show though, I'm sure we'll end up with a real piano when we find more permanent living arrangements. I'm expecting a great concert for Christmas!
Awesome!! Congrats on the new piano!!!!!Love the pics of the boys with marker!
You know you're a musician when...
the only furniture in your home is a piano.
That's great and when your boys are blessing the lives of some ward in South America with their piano talents on their mission, converting many with the spirit of music they will be telling this story at the pulpit :)
Thats great about your piano. Cool. One time Nate pointed out to me that in your house the piano was seen as something that was fun, and for him, it always seemed like more of a chore. Don't know if that was Nate's personality or what. In my house growing up, we had a piano for as long as I can remember. Who can play piano out of all of us? Samuel. And he totally took the initiative himself to learn it AFTER he took AP music theory this past year. I've got like, a deadline to be making enough $$$ for piano lessons (we'll probably get a keyboard) (or just go get my parents' piano which they don't use) by the time Benj is 8. Otherwise Ang is going to have to get a job (laughter). I want to get a guitar too.
And whats the deal with kids licking butter anyway? Ben still does that. I totally don't get it.
Congrats on the piano!!! It makes a home.
Ha ha Big Jay -
I don't think "fun" is how I'd describe all that practicing - at least not until we were much older and already pretty DANG good.
But I do remember my mom singing and playing the piano ALL THE TIME when we were kids. Not because she HAD to. But because she wanted to - She taught us to love and enjoy music, to understand it even, long before we became musicians ourselves.
One of my favorite things in the whole world is getting together with my mom and sisters to make a little music. Yes, now it's definitely "fun"!
Oh and licking butter??? I wish.
Isaac bites chunks. He'd eat the whole stick of raw butter if we let him. Uck!
Isaac's knows what up. My philosophy: The purpose of bread - an excuse to eat butter.
Congratulations on the new piano! When I asked Shelley to marry me, she said that marriage was way down the list for her. It took her 6 months to finally say yes! I had to tell her that we could wait until she finished her nursing degree (#1 on her list). I told her that it would be more fun to travel to Europe together (#2 on her list). Finally, I promised her that I would buy her a piano (#3 on her list). It took me 30 years to finally deliver on the Europe trip, but I did get to #3 right away. I bought a used upright piano when we first moved into the duplex on 5th Ave and then bought a baby grand piano about 8 years ago. Shelley taught all six kids to play the piano. The boys all used their musical skills on their missions and Rochelle even played the organ in our ward when she was 16 yrs old.
Post a Comment