I took Clayton and Isaac to the dentist yesterday for a check-up. Despite my anticipation of another showdown with Isaac at the dental chair, both boys were petrified in their seats and behaved like robots at the dentist's command. Both were also relieved to hear the words, "still no cavities". Which amazes me considering their diets of pure sugar. When the dentist asked Clayton if he had any loose teeth, Clayton shook his head but proudly showed the dentist his "shark teeth" (the row of permanent teeth coming in behind his baby teeth.) The dentist looked at me and I knew what was coming. I, too, had four baby teeth pulled when I was his age for the exact same reason. But now? Without any preparation or warning? Does Clayton even know that it's totally normal to lose a tooth? Does he know about the tooth fairy? We never had a formal conversation because he never had a wiggly tooth!
My heart was racing as the dentist put his mask on and propped Clayton back in the chair. The rest of us were ushered out of the room and the door between me and my clueless child slid closed.
After the longest minutes of my life, Clayton stepped into the waiting room dazed and confused.
Numb.
And holding a big wad of gauze in his mouth. I put my arms around him and rattled off a lifetime of information about baby teeth, permanent teeth, and the Tooth Fairy - in about 20 seconds.
He didn't even cry. . . until we were in the car. And then he howled.
Out of grief, mostly.
He went from panic, "My teeth are gone! My teeth are gone!"
to anger, "This is just wrong! Something feels wrong!"
to feelings of betrayal, "Why did you do this me? How could you?"
and then he just sobbed big devastating tears of defeat.
I have never been so heartbroken.
But after a stop at the ice cream shop (with second helpings) and my flawless description and utterly convincing explanation of the Tooth Fairy, Clayton was quite settled.

This morning, everyone was excited (and relieved) to find that the Tooth Fairy had indeed come during the night. Just before he left for school, Clayton dashed back upstairs.
When I checked later, this is what I found on his pillow.
13 comments:
Wow! I wonder what Clayton will say when you take him back in 6 months for another check up. Hopefully the excitement of the tooth fairy will make him think the dentist visit wasn't too big of a deal.
Hahaha I don't think I have ever heard of a kid leaving a thank you note for the tooth fairy... Clayton is certainly very thoughtful. Next tooth, he deserves a raise!
Wow, what an ordeal. No offense to your wonderful dad, but around our house "dentist" is a dirty word. I am so sad that my kids has terrible teeth. Luke has already gone through so much, and I can already see a little brown spot on one of Noah's teeth. The child just turned 3 for heaven's sake!!!!!! I promise I brush them.
Clayton is so funny! I love the note. Like the tooth fairy will be back the next night for another visit or something. How thoughtful. Someone sure is raising him right.
Oh, by the way. I will take 100 days without worry.
I suhwear you have the sweetest little boy on the planet. That note is PRECIOUS.
His reaction in the car is both heartbreaking, and hilarious. It can totally see something similar happening in these parts.
Bo had a tooth pulled last week. When they came to the waiting room and told me, I cried. I CRIED. I felt so stupid, but I couldn't help it. Mah baby. Mah baby's tooth!
He was a champ but everytime I told him he was so brave, he blew me off. Finally he confessed, "Are you kidding me, I wasn't brave---I cried like TWO times!" Then we discussed brave.
Oh wait, this is your blog. Sorry. :)
Although I can go days without showering or looking in a mirror and closely resemble an "It", I meant, I. Not It.
Addison and I are reading this together and laughing so hard. "This is just wrong. Something feels wrong"...hillarous. You have such a sweet boy. We hope our kids can be so grateful.
What a sweet kids Clayton is! I didn't even thank the tooth fairy when she gave me a 100 dollar bill. That could be because she took it back and traded it in for a 1 dollar bill...dashing my incredible hopes and excitement.
That is so sad! But the thank you note? That is definatly not sad. I secretly wished Eva would be so grateful...
You know you have done something right when your child leaves a thank you note for the tooth fairy. Where have I gone wrong? Ha!! The shark teeth description gave me a good laugh!!!
Just be glad that Tim isn't the one pulling Clayton's teeth. It took me many years and lots of therapy before I could see that Sears was my friend and not some horrible monster that was the source of the worst pain imaginable (I still hate going to the dentist today).
I too am scared of the dentist but I suppose that's my own fault from years of bad habits. Poor little Clayton!
Clayton is so sweet. I mean, really, what kid thinks to leave a thank you note for the tooth fairy? I know that I never did. I might have left a note demanding more money the next time or something, but never a thank you. I hope my kids are more like Clayton and less like me;)
Post a Comment