Tuesday, January 6, 2009

This Morning. . .

Clayton and Isaac went back to school. After two awesome-lazy weeks of staying in our pajamas until noon and watching the Star Wars Trilogy a million times, it was a super shocker to get through our morning routine of beds made, kids dressed, breakfast, lunches packed, scripture study, morning dance (my embarrassing family exercise program - please don't ask), family prayer, backpacks ready, finding matching shoes, and convincing Isaac that he can't wear this to school:

All by 7:20.


It rained this morning and since we left our umbrellas at church, we drove. And the kids arrived at school just before the last bell. Clayton accidentally left his backpack in the car and was seriously devastated (disoriented even). But no worries. I used my super running powers and hand-delivered it to his classroom within seconds.

Brigham gave up diapers altogether this morning. (his choice. not mine.) But hey! It's a new year and he's a new man with a new look. Yeah. A superman look. (thanks Isaac for demonstrating the power of underwear)

A police officer came to the door looking for a convicted felon who used to live at our address. (great) He asked me a ton of questions but I was totally not helpful. Was his name Crater?
Oh wait. That's something else. Sorry.

I drove 30 minutes to the temple-clothes store which was closed. So I went to the bookstore across the street which was sold out of the book I needed. So I went to Kroger next door and bought some nut-free, milk-free banana bread which I saintly tried to share with the guy at the intersection holding a "Homeless: will work for food" sign. He said he'd already eaten and flipped me off. Sheeesh!

Brigham peed in his car seat on the way home.

It's noon and Briggs is asleep (in underwear - grrrrrrrr) and I am missing the noise - the space contraptions and battles, the sumo-wrestling, the exciting rescues, explosions and secret missions to destroy "Crater" (Isaac's version of Darth Vader). I miss the epic adventures with made-up soundtracks and live special effects.

I miss all my super heroes. . .



12 comments:

Jenny said...

I was wondering how it was for you getting back into the grove after two super hero filled weeks. After participating in your before school routine, I am completely amazed at the energy your have at 6:00am. You're amazing Emily. What I can't believe is that you started potty training Brigham today! I miss your super heroes too. Good luck with Brigs and his underwear.

Christina said...

Love the photo.
Since you said don't ask, it makes me really want to ask. A morning dance? Please share. It sounds so great!

debs said...

Amen! I was sad to send Julie and David back to school after Thanksgiving and sadder still to send them back on Monday. Julie was crying Sunday night, saying she would miss me. But, she had a great day Monday, and I think she and David are secretly, deep down happy to be back to the old grind.

Melissa said...

Well, it sounds like your life is back to "normal". All I can say is "Good Luck"! I might be worried, if I hadn't witnessed first-hand how well you do it! Love to ALL of you "super heroes".

Larman Family said...

I think your next movie should definitely involve "the dance." Good luck with the no diapers thing- I am grateful that Clayton is still happy to sit on the potty fully clothed.

Emily said...

Hmmmm. . . A Smith Family Music Video. It's tempting. . .

I'll dedicate it to you Christina.

The Gunnerson Family said...

Ah yes, back to real life. I am actually happy that "real life" has come back around. I felt like I did not stay home for one second during the whole holiday break. I was ready for a little time off of all the partying! I love the picture of Issac as Dash. He looks great. I am sure that your house is much more quiet with Clayton and Issac at school. Now you are back to being Brigham's play partner.

Cameron said...

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one that has crazy days!! I love reading about your adventures.

Gina Rochelle said...

Wow, you're awesome! We're lucky to be in clothes by 9 on most days. I am totally scared to get into the getting ready for school routine.

Kristie said...

I think Isaac is my kind of guy. I mean, anyone who dresses like that.

Marianne said...

Hello Cousins! I was reading Drew and Em's blog and found a link to yours. Your family is so cute!! I love the "Super Isaac" costume!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Emily,

I just wanted to say how cute your boys are and how fun it is to read about how you are doing. Tasha has Jenny's blog on her blog, so that is how I found you. I hope you are doing well. You have an adorable family.

Nicole Mitchell Flygare
nflygare@allwest.net