Thursday, March 26, 2009

Barbara Bush Paid A Visit Today

Every night this week before Isaac went to bed he asked with anticipation, "Is Mrs. Barbara Bush coming tomorrow?" The teachers and staff at the Elementary school had been preparing the students (particularly Isaac - quizzing him on appropriate and inappropriate comments) all week for Mrs. Bush's annual visit. The anticipation was so intense, actually, that I wondered if Clayton and Isaac would be disappointed to see that "Mrs. Barbara Bush" is just a jolly old lady with white hair who smiles a lot but doesn't give out candy canes.
Parents were uninvited (and believe me, the doors were highly secured) so I was curious to ask my kids what they thought about her visit. . .


Isaac said it was boring "except one funny part when Mrs. Barbara Bush licked the microphone and the whole school laughed" (who knows if she did it on purpose, accident, or not at all. Clayton didn't recall any microphone licking.) Isaac also liked her dog and commented several times about how quiet and good it was, "I can't believe it! It didn't run around or bark or anything!! Maybe because it was dead. . . Oh, poor Mrs. Barbara Bush."

Clayton participated in a little "Hats Off to America" program to honor her. He said she read a book about a bear who visited a school and at first no one wanted the bear there but in the end, the students liked having a bear come to visit. Hmmmmm. . . I'll try not to read too much into Barbara Bush's choice of read-aloud. I'm just impressed and glad that she came (especially after open-heart surgery) with her white hair, smiling face, and well-behaved dog. . .

even if she didn't bring candy canes.

.

2 comments:

becca said...

Hahahaha I love the comments from both boys, especially Clayton. "Maybe it was dead... Oh, poor Mrs. Barbara Bush." Hilarious!

Emily said...

No. I did not sneak through security to take that picture. I just pillaged the school website.