- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Nate likes play by plays. And since the Federal Government does not take "spring break" I decided to give him, and you all, but mostly him, a play by play of our Spring Break Vacation.
Day One:
1 - sleep in until. . . oh, 6:20 am. Watch DVDs for the next 4 hours in our jammies.
2 - Picnic lunch outside. Briggy spoons sand into the Brita filter (grrrr. . .) and pokes Isaac with a stick (which turns into a "sword" fight). Spido-Clayton climbs the vines on our wall (mid-lunch) and falls onto the concrete edge suffering one big ugly back scrape, a nasty bruise and temporary paralysis (due to having the wind knocked out of him). I have the wind knocked out of me too (due to panic) as I carry him in the house. He's fine. The half-eaten lunch, forgotten, and left outside for the rest of the day?
Um. Not fine.
3 - Afternoon at the "spiderweb" park, where Spido-Clayton demonstrates his skills on more secured turf.
4 - Dinner at IHOP. (I'm such a nice mom. Really I am.)
I meticulously pick out all the seeds from Brigham's watermelon and set them on a separate plate. He eats every bite. With a spoon. Five minutes later. The seeds. Not the watermelon. Isaac loves IHOP. I think it has something to do with bacon, sausage, eggs, hash browns, and pancakes with syrup - all on one plate.
Day Two:
1 - St. Patrick's Day party at Emma's house (Isaac's friend from school) where my boys monopolize Emma's pink mustang convertible.
2 - Back to the "spiederweb" park at Clayton's insistence.
3 - A trip to the mall for summer sandals.
4 - Dinner at the Rainforest Cafe where Isaac announces it to be the "bestest day of his entire life!" as the chanting waiters bring out the "flaming volcano" cake. Clayton's response? "This is a good day, Isaac. But Daddy is not here so it can't be the best." (I missed you too, Honey - especially when all three boys had to use the bathroom and the Men's restroom had NO line.)
Day Three:
1 - Breakfast at Admiral Kev's house. Well, okay. We didn't really eat anything we just went over (at breakfast time) to play Jedi dress-ups.
2 - A day trip to the beach. I mean, Galveston Island, the beach, Moody Gardens, the beach, a Ferry Boat Ride, and the beach - did I mention the beach? Unfortunately all the beaches are closed this time of year - or maybe because of hurricane damage.
In any case - Shucks. . .
3 - The kids discover a little patch of mud. I tell them it's the beach and they have the time of their lives!
4 - Three-hour drive home in bumper to bumper traffic. Just so you know, there are no bathrooms on the toll road - or exits.
I'll spare you the details.
Day Four:
1 - A visit to the Houston Museum of Natural Science - the third most visited museum in the country (just behind the Field Museum in Chicago and the New York Natural History Museum). And apparently they all visit during Spring Break. . . (I can't name a single person in the universe who wasn't there. And don't even try to tell me you weren't because I swear I saw you.) Nate was even there!
2 - Of course there was the IMAX show (I'm such a fan - especially of 3D glasses!)
3 - And lunch at the cafe across the street - not to be confused with the Rainforest Cafe (to Clayton and Isaac's disappointment) and several more potty breaks.
4 - Then back to the museum for the Genghis Khan Exhibit. We pay extra - A LOT EXTRA - for this but it's worth it to avoid the crowds (of a million museum cheapskates) and to see Isaac literally DROOL over Genghis Khan's sword. It's all he dreams about now. (and pouts about in the rose bushes - as you can see)
5 - I completely forget about 4:30 piano lessons. What?!?
Day Five:
1 - Laundry. Clean. Laundry. Dishes. And more laundry.
2 - Vacuum and scrub the car and car seats. Thanks again Isaac!
3 - Nap. Sort of.
4 - Trip to Target for milk and groceries (an adventure in and of itself with my karate-kids)
5 - Street soccer with the neighbor kids.
6 - Pizza for dinner.
6 comments:
What a fun spring break right in your backyard! Isn't it great when you can find so many wonderful things to do around you. We are going next week to St. George for our spring break and I am so excited. We are just going to being outside go bowling, mini golfing, etc. and have a great time not really going anywhere for spring break.
I am already wishing summer vacation was here too! I can already think of a million things I want to do with the boys. I am sure I will be singing a different tune come the end of August!
That sounds like a fun spring break. We did some fun spring break stuff, but not much. Mostly YMCA swimming etc... We thought about going bowling but the bowling alleys here aren't the same as I'm used to going to.
Emily, your energy is amazing. Just reading about your spring break made me tired, and jealous that BYU doesn't give us a spring break. I hope your kids know how lucky they are to have parents who take them to do such fun things!
Wow! I too am constantly amazed at your energy Emily. Mandy's right in hoping the boys someday understand how lucky they are to have you as their mom. What a fun and educational spring break.
Our spring break is coming up. Man, you really set the standard high.
Yup....it sounds exhausting to me, but it's nice you have so many fun things to do there in Houston. I always liked spring break when TIM took you to Arches while I stayed home with the baby (well, sometimes I went, if there was no baby).
Post a Comment