Thursday, May 21, 2009

My Clayton

A few days ago, a friend mentioned/accused me in an email of not giving Clayton enough air-time on my blog. She has known Clayton for a long time (she used to teach him, actually) and said she'd like to know how he's doing now and what he's been up to. The truth is, Clayton is my darndest-hardest kid to write/blog about. I don't really know why, but here are a few theories:

1) He occasionally reads this blog. So I feel like I need to be extra careful about what I write about him.

2) He doesn't do ridiculously funny things as often as the other kids. Well, he does. . .but. . . you'd have to know him to think it's funny. Which brings me to theory number three - the most likely theory of all:

3) I can give you a little snippet of Isaac or Briggy and you get a pretty decent picture of their general personalities. But if I told you, for example, that Clayton is a genius and missed only one question - scoring in the 99th percentile on the National Gifted Screening Test or that the office staff gloats over his SAT scores, you might get the wrong idea. Because you might not know that a few years ago, his preschool teacher (and administration) referred him to Special Ed. and would not let him re-register until he was tested for learning disabilities. Or that he got the Accelerated Reader Honor Award this year not because he's a brilliant reader but because he accidentally clicked on a 6th grade level test, took the test anyway - having never read the book, guessed, and got almost every question right. (apparently the school has no way of changing the score/points once it's saved in the system - Clayton had no idea he cheated). You might also get the wrong idea if I mention his (sometimes hilarious) conversation skills. For example, if you talk to Clayton on the phone there is a 90% chance that half-way through the conversation he'll ask you if you're done talking yet. And if you see him at the store and say, "Hello, dear." he'll look at you blankly and say, "Um. My name is Clayton." Or if you ask him matter-of-factly if he likes soccer, he'll think way way way too long and hard about it. If you know Clayton, you know what I mean - and you also know about his years of intense language therapy (and can appreciate how far he's come!)

But I love my Clayton. He is delightful, interesting, extremely principled, hard-working, and unbelievably kind-hearted. His perfectionist tendencies (hmmm, wonder where those came from - honey?) help and hinder him in school. He hates spelling things wrong, for example. And yet inventive spelling, at that age, is one of the best ways to develop creative writing and fluent reading. He is a stickler to rules - which his teachers adore. And is often found shushing ME in the hallway. He tattle-tales and lectures the other students on moral principles - which they can't stand. But his absolute sense of fairness and kindness make up for it. And he has a classroom full of friends.

Where he lacks in impromptu conversations, he makes up for in prepared speeches and talks. He recently auditioned and starred in the Kindergarten play as a "Gourmet Goat" - one of the only speaking parts.

Here are a few highlights:


He has also given several fabulous talks in Primary and a melt-my-heart Mother's Day talk in Sacrament Meeting - all of which you can see here.

He switched to a different (more demanding) piano teacher (and method) last month - which felt like starting over for him. And I am already exhausted keeping up with his new routine. But I adore those little fingers practicing - practicing away. . .
Here he is - before his lesson today - playing two of his newest (but not favorite) piano pieces. I had to bite my tongue (for the love of the film) and not call out, "don't rush. . . uh, uh, remember your piano hands. . . oops, it's a skip."



Clayton plays soccer like he plays chess. . . uhhh. . . which works well for chess. Our cheers have gone from "Go Clayton!" to "Don't think! Just kick!" He is definitely not the star of the team but has made some great plays this year just by (coincidentally) being in the right place at the right time. He loves soccer. Which makes me the happiest soccer mom around.



He also loves swimming lessons (especially diving and flipping), riding his super scooter with his gang of brothers and friends, and authoring books in his spare time (he just started this one yesterday. He has a horrible cough right now and is milking it for all it's worth - my favorite page is the detailed battle between the good and bad bacteria.) He is also more excited than Christmas to be getting a baby sister. He can hardly wait. . . and has already picked out a name: Abish. (which I'm pretty sure we'll renegotiate.)





hooray for invented spelling!
okay. . . so what! that he made a compound word out of two words he already knew.
It also looks like it started out as another Pirate book. . .you're right, kiddo - Viruses are much more interesting.



I love you, my Clayton. . . my Clayton. . . my Clayton.
My dark-haired baby boy that almost didn't make it.


My dark-haired six-year-old who asked me this morning if the red color in his vitamin is caused by iron oxide (iron what?) and informed me on our walk to school that when wood ants and fire ants come in contact with each other they almost always attack. And even though they're much smaller, fire ants usually win because of their persistence.
Hmmm. Profound observation, kiddo. . .


Well, Clay - I could never give you enough "air-time" to satisfy your fans (me included) but hopefully this will do for now.

Love you, Claydog.

.

9 comments:

Emily said...

It seems a little out of place posting this today because it's Brigham's birthday (technically) But since Nate is in New Orleans we're postponing it for a few days.

However, I received news that Nate's Grandpa Clay passed away this morning - Clayton's namesake. And this post actually seems all the more appropriate.

He'd be proud you, kiddo!

Melissa said...

I'm one of Clayton's biggest fans and am so proud of him. I'm so glad I was there to watch his play (even though I now can't get the catchy tunes out of my head.....another week of me constantly singing "We are making pizza pie", and "You did a fine job" and I think everyone around me is going to go crazy!)
I think your amazing family home evenings are giving the boys a lot of performance confidence.
Clayton is doing so many things so well....what a great kid!

Stephanie said...

Hopefully I'll get to meet your boys someday. I LOVED reading all about Clayton in this post!

becca said...

I love hearing about Clayton. He is a such a funny one-of-a-kind kid. I especially love all the videos since I don't get to see you guys enough.
I think it was very fitting to post it today.

Christina said...

I remember playing those same songs. Was never that good, though. That kid is pure genius.

Jenny said...

Oh he's the coolest six-year-old out there. Tell him I LOVED watching his goat performance and watching him play the piano, he has gotten soooooo much better since Christmas. I also can't get enough of his smile. He looks so happy in the soccer pictures. Sorry to hear about Grandpa Clay.

Drew said...

I too am a huge Clayton fan. That kid just cracks me up. For having somewhat of an introverted personality I was really surprised with how loving, gentle, and animated he was with Kathryn when we visited. He couldn't get enough of playing with her and wanting to hold her. I have no doubt he is way excited about a baby sister and will be a great big bro. I remember the first day we were there after he had created a rather cool lego toy he said to me, "I really love this toy, kind of like I love the baby".

Allison said...

Clayton is such a sweetheart. He is getting so good on the piano and I just bet he is going to be such a help with his baby sister. Jordie loved playing with him last summer because he was so kind and so patient while playing with such a younger boy. In fact after that, Jordie wanted a brother named Clayton, but got a sister named Caitlin instead. We are excited to see you all again!

And happy birthday to Brigham!

The Gunnerson Family said...

What a tribute. Clayton seems to be such a great kid. So many great qualities from both mom and dad. Lets get all 6 boys together to play this summer....that should be interesting!