Thursday, May 14, 2009

Okay, Here's The Thing

I knew it was boy from day one. How could I not? It felt like a boy - a boy - a boy - it was a boy. And here's the thing. I ADORE boys. I do. I love the dynamics of "brudders" so close in age. And I really like the idea of having ALL boys. It gives a family an identity apart from other families. I grew up in a family of ALL girls - and I know. We were The Sisters - The Evans Girls. Not just, oh yeah, that other family with five kids. I was seriously so proud of us! And here's the other thing. I envision my whole slew of boys - The Brothers - The Smith Boys - white shirts and ties - fresh haircuts - proudly singing, "We have been born as Nephi of old. . . da-da-da-da-WE ARE AS THE ARMY OF HELAMAN! We have been taught in our youth and WE WILL BE THE LORD'S MISSIONARIES to bring the world His truth!" I mean, C'mon! Really. Aren't boys just the coolest??

Which is why I cried. . .

cried. . .





When they told me it was a girl.


a. . . girl.



Because I felt an immediate connection from my heart. . .
to my belly.
And that connection pulled at a million heartstrings. Strings I didn't even know I had until I thought the word - daughter.

Heartstrings like this:

My great-grandmother's wedding dress (over 100 years old) passed down from mother to daughter.


and this:
The ring that belonged to Emily Almira, my pioneer great-great-grandmother - that has been passed down through generations of daughters as a reminder of our heritage. It's the only item of jewelry I wear besides my wedding ring.


and this:
Books I love more than chocolate - that would only feel right reading with a daughter.


and this:
All those deliciously-adorable clothes I used to breeze by without a second thought.
Feel free to send me any of these.


Our baby girl is already so cute - measuring 9 days ahead of schedule (which just means another 10-pounder baby for me - ouch). Everything looks good so far (minus a slightly low placenta - they'll check it again in a few months). I can feel her dancing all around and I could not be happier or more thankful!


And now I'm changing the title to my Mother's Day Post.

.

22 comments:

Stephanie said...

Congratulations! Your boys will be so cute and protective of their little sister. You are definitely good at boys, so this just gives you a different kind of challenge to take on. Besides, if you had all boys, you would always wonder what it would be like to have a daughter. Now you will know...and it will be tons of fun!

Allison said...

Hooray! I can't wait for a little Smith girl. You will love having a little girl. I thought people were crazy when they told me that, especially when they tagged it with things we would be able to do together like shopping, doing hair/makeup. . .girl kinds of things, you know. I was like, "Um, I am a walking fashion disaster that can't even do my own hair and makeup and I hate girly things." They were all right though. Well, except about loving all the girly things. But I do LOVE having a little girl, and I even love shopping for her. Watch out for your bank account because there really are way more clothes and cute things out there for girls and they are SO tempting to buy!
Congratulations!

Jenny said...

Congratulations! I just can't believe it's a girl. She'll love life with you and your boys. I'm so excited for her to come. I hope everything continues to go smoothly and that the low placenta doesn't get in the way. We love you and pray for you Emily! Congratulations again!

Russ Cannon said...

Wow! Who would have thought that the Smiths could ever have a girl. I love my four sons and enjoyed all the years of Boy Scouts and things I could only do with my sons. But, I am so glad that I had the privilege of raising daughters. We were so thrilled to have Rochelle after our first three boys and thought that Brooke was our winners prize for having 6 kids by C-Section. We hope that all will go well during your pregnancy and birth.

becca said...

Woohoo!!!! I was going to comment yesterday and say that I hoped it was a girl, but I would have felt bad if it turned out to be a boy. (And I would have been happy for you guys either way!) I bet Kathryn will be so glad to have a girl cousin so close to her age- how perfect!
And you really shouldn't have said we are free to send you cute little girl things... expect to be receiving a lot of packages from me in the coming months!

Marianne said...

Congratulations!!!! A little girl!!! I'm sure grandma Norma will be so excited :)

Sara @ Our Best Bites said...

Wah-Hoooooooo! That's all. Just one. Big. Screaming. Wah-Hooooooo! SO excited for you guys!

Aplanalps said...

Start saving your money....their clothes are way tooooo cute!!

April & Anthony Callison said...

OMG. I'm so so happy for you!!!

debs said...

As Julie and I can tell you, there is nothing so reinforcing as the bond between a mother and her ONE daughter amidst the pack of boys. It is great to share girls-days-out, paint each other's nails (although James likes to get in on that one, much to Jesse's chagrin), read books that star heroines together, and generally enjoy unity as daughters of God.
Congratulations!!! We are so very excited to help you welcome your little girl.

Sheralie said...

So tender. I didn't know about the ring and the dress. You deserve a sweet little girl, Mama.

Mandy and Brian said...

YAY! I need some more nieces, and I am sure Vivien, Clara, and Caitie will agree with me because they will be getting another girl cousin that they can play with!
P.S. I am so excited to see you, I am jealous that mom has been with you guys all week

Christina said...

That dress is just AMAZING. Seriously, that is so neat. My friends and I were having the talk about how a daughter is usually the one that will stick around. Sons have to go along with their wives but a daughter can stick with you and still be loyal to her spouse. Does that make sense? It does in may heart.

I am glad, however, that YOU are raising so many boys. The world needs more noble boys.

Christina said...

Oh, one more thing.

Dressing girls is so much more exciting.

NOBODY said...

Oh, I love the twist for why you cried.

And those dresses and shoes made me cry. I can't look at things like that because I know the only person who wants those things more than me, is Avee. And little girls are the WORST thing that can happen to your budget. It's insane what a rack of little dresses will do to your sensibilities.

I can't wait to see how Nate looks, completely wrapped around a petite little finger. I laugh at Jay at LEAST once a day for how ridiculously gone he is when it comes to Avee.

Congratulations on the pregnancy AND the exciting news.

Cami said...

Many, many congrats! I too grew up in a family of all girls, and now I have two girls of my own. Girls are GREAT!!!! You will love having a girl! I'm so excited for you and your family.

P.S. I love the "brainstorms" of your little men!

Nikki said...

Congrats!! I cried when I read this entry. Why probably because I know what a great feeling it is to have a girl after 3 boys. Actually it is probably because I am hormonal. Get ready because girls are totally different, but oh so fun.

Jessica McKay said...

Yea for girls!! Congratulations! I'm glad that your boys will have a little girl around soon!

The Gunnerson Family said...

Oh, Emily! I have goose bumps. Tears are welling up in my eyes. I couldn't be happier (well, unless it was me that found out I was finally having a daughter). I love how you totally get it. You get why a mom wants a daughter. You get that you can love your sons with all of your heart, but still yearn for a girl. You get that there are things that only happen with a mother and a daughter. You get that it doesn't make you a bad person to WANT a daughter. You get that its more than the dresses and shoes; it is the BOND. I am so happy for you. It has given me hope that just because you have three boys doesn't mean you are destined to never get a girl.

I just hope that next time I "get" it, too.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!

Liz said...

Yay Emily! You found the right sacrament water for that girl ha ha!!! jk..... Congrats!!

Emily said...

Yea!!!!! I'm so excited and happy for you. That little girl is going to be watched out for well with three great big brothers. I'm sure Kathryn and her were making all sorts of plans in heaven. They'll be great friends. Yea, I'm just so happy and can't wait to meet her!

Drew said...

So how does Nathan feel about a daughter? I really wanted a daughter for our first baby which I think is kind of unusual for a guy. But I don't think I've ever asked Nathan about that. Well as you can tell from the other replies the Smith siblings are pretty pumped about another girl in the fam and Kathryn is way excited. Too bad you missed out on the cash prize though.