Friday, August 7, 2009

Back Home

The other morning I woke up to Brigham standing-breathing nose to nose with me.
"Hi Mommy. Is it morning yet?" (sweetly)
"No. Not quite." (croaking)
"Well, when it's morning den can we go to da Wranch today?" (slightly whining at the anticipation of another boring day at home.)

We've been back almost exactly a week. Back to cooking, cleaning, laundry, work, and practicing. Back to our early bedtime routine. Back to friends who can't play because they are enrolled in sports camps and summer school all day. Back to housework, yardwork, scheduling, and errands. Back to 105 degrees outside.

I collected some recent artwork.
Clearly the children wish they were still on vacation. . .







On a sort of unrelated note (ha ha - no pun intended) Clayton diverted his attention from Lego missile building with Isaac for a few hours to compose this song. I was giddy with pride listening to him figure out how to write it on his own. . .

Unfortunately, his talent went entirely unappreciated by everybody else - including his father who said,
"Huh. wow (and in the same breath) I hope he doesn't get into this kind of thing. There are a lot of starving musicians out there."
and his piano teacher who said,
"This is a nice song, Clayton. It would be nicer if you had practiced your assignment, though."


So here's my little August Rush performing his most recent composition.



.

5 comments:

Sheralie said...

Well I am impressed with the alberti bass and the half cadence and final cadence. Good job Clayton!

Melissa said...

I also loved it, and was impressed by the beautiful tone and the "rainbow off" at the end. Well done Clayton!

Melissa said...

The artwork is precious!

Jenny said...

Oh Emily I miss you guys! I've loved seeing the pictures from the rest of your trip and I love love love the artwork. I'm saving them forever. Tell the kids thanks for including Brian in the cousins pictures. Way to go Clayton on a beautiful composition. I'm impressed!

Nobody said...

Nate's comment made me laugh and laugh.

Then I listened to his song. WOWEE! He's good! Love the flair too. :)