Saturday, September 26, 2009

Seven!

Yup. He's seven! My dark-haired, chocolate-eyed child - my principled, logical and sometimes vulnerable little boy who chats my ear off about the velocity of bullet trains in China and the exact dimensions and workings of his latest Lego contraptions - Yes, my Clayton. . . who trumps me in patience and kindness daily is already seven years old.
I have a lot to learn from you, kiddo.

We celebrated today with the ultimate science-fest birthday party, which in Clayton's words was the best day in his whole life ever! He can't believe it!

Invitations were sent. . .
(I told him he could invite four friends.)

We ended up with eleven.
And the party began by decorating "science sacks" which were then loaded with all the essential science supplies. . .
before heading outside where Professor Daddy conducted an exciting list of science experiments. . .



which included growing crystals. . .



cracking geodes. . .



creating a volcanic eruption. . .




digging for fossils and gemstones. . .



and the only mishap of the day (which unfortunately was not captured on film), was the 15-foot geyser that erupted prematurely - while no one was watching - right into Nate's face.
Here's a picture of the aftermath. . . yup. this is all we saw.


I love this last picture of Briggs who, as you can see, was a particularly attentive science student.


After the science extravaganza, we headed back in for (drum roll)
Volcano Cupcakes! and an Earth Brownie Cake with ice cream.


Next. . . presents.


Besides an ample supply of more Lego's (including a coveted electronic-remote-control piece), here are a few of his other birthday gifts. Thank you to all! Clayton is definitely now in science heaven.

After the party (instead of cleaning up) we took our little rock-scientist rock climbing of course! Which he made look WAY too easy (zipping to the top on three different climbs). Isaac attempted a climb too but at about 3.5 feet wimped out, whined, cried, yelled, and refused to try again. Oh well. . . goodbye $6.

Afterward, we ate a late lunch at the Rainforest Cafe which included another sparkling volcano cake!


Happy Birthday, Claydog!


Thanks for keeping
life interesting, learning fun,
and our days continually filled
with smiles!

.

10 comments:

Russ Cannon said...

Clayton sure has a lot of cute girl friends for such a nerdy science geek.

Allison said...

Awe. Some. Dave and I have been waiting with anticipation for this birthday post. You always have such creative parties for your kids. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this one though. It makes me hope that I have a science obsessed child one day, just so I can do some of these things!

The Gunnerson Family said...

Okay Emily, stop with all the perfect mom stuff. I mean who does such amazing parties...especially when they are nine months pregnant! Looks so fun. I am sure it was totally worth the effort when Clayton said it was the best day ever. How rewarding.

Cami said...

Emily, I have figured out your calling in life. You need to be a professional Childrens Party Planner! Seriously! This looks like it was one awesome party!

P.S. Any ideas for an almost 6 year old girl who L.O.V.E.S. all things High School Musical?

Jenny said...

I'm completely amazed again Emily at your incredible energy and creativity. What an awesome party and I can't believe you're nine months pregnant! Happy Birthday Clayton! I absolutely love the activities they got to do.

Emily said...

Ha ha ha . . .
What are you talkin' about, Russ?
Don't pretty girls ALWAYS go for smarts? (Hey - I always did. . .)

But yeah, we know some darling little girls here - makes me excited to have one soon!

Unknown said...

Wow... where was my invite?!?! That is the greatest party ever! I love those big goggles. What is the green stuff the kids are eating?

Emily said...

Rock Candy. . . of course!

Christina said...

Okay. You know the part about Isaac making it up about 3.5 feet. SO Samuel! Why is it that these boys that climb EVERYTHING can't do the climbing wall?

The party is amazing.

Emily said...

Now that's my kind of birthday party! :) Emily you are so creative-everything looked so fun. And the cake and cupcakes turned out so cool! Is it just me, or did anyone else think Clayton looked a little like Dwight in the invitation? :) Oh, and by the way Emily, I know you're partially hidden by Clayton in the family pic, but you don't even look pregnant! How do you pull that off?