Monday, October 19, 2009

G Power

GIRL Power?

maybe.

Nate recently accused me of liking girls more than boys.
Just because I goo and gah and coo and cuddle and sing and smile constantly at Eliza. At wide-eyed Eliza. At fussy Eliza. At happy Eliza. At sleeping Eliza.
Constantly.
And I admit - I'm head over heels for this little pink bundle.

Of course I loved all my baby boys too. . . but it's different.

When Clayton was born, he spent a month in the NICU. And for the first time, I felt real heartache and worry for a child. My mom, who had originally come to help with the baby, left before Clayton even came home from the hospital. And I barely had any time to figure out how to be a mother in those few brief weeks before I went back to teaching in South Chicago - the year I also started an after-school orchestra program. Life seemed to run faster than Nate and I could keep up with back then.

Isaac was born a month after we moved to Dallas - I had never even been to Texas. My mom was under strict missionary rules in Mexico and could not come help. Nate was working in Washington D.C. for the summer. He flew in for the weekend of Isaac's birth. And promptly flew out again leaving us lonely in a new city. Except for some dear friends who traveled from Houston and Chicago to help for a few days (Thanks Sheralie and Corinne - it would have been impossible without you) I was pretty much ON MY OWN to figure out how to be a stay-at-home-mother-of-two (which was hard on my ego and identity after working) as well as the ins and outs of an unfamiliar city.

When Brigham was born, I was worried mostly about my 3-year-old who wasn't potty-trained or talking. I also had an over-the-top 1-year-old who wasn't potty-trained AND who still insisted on being carried - everywhere. My mom was still in Mexico and Nate flew out of town the day I came home from the hospital. (Thanks to Drew and my Aunt Shelley for all your help that first week!! A million thanks!) Briggy also had some health complications which had me toting all my kids to doctor's appointments, orthopedic and neurological specialists, physical therapists, and the hospital for MRI's, blood testing, and other exams. Almost daily. Three young children proved to be the hardest by far.


And now there's Eliza.
Sweet Eliza. . . warm and breathing. . . asleep in my arms.
Beautiful Eliza.

And maybe it's because she's a girl. Maybe it's because my other kids are much older - confident, independent, and helpful. Maybe it's because life is easier. Maybe it's because I'm wiser. . .
Or just lazier. Maybe.

Or maybe it's because she's a girl. But I don't think so.

I think it's because, for the first time ever, my mom was here - running the show like MacGyver - for two straight weeks after the baby was born. Yeah, I think the real reason actually has nothing to do with GIRL Power.
But everything - everything to do with. . .

GRANDMA Power.


So thank you, Mom. For completely taking over the kids' morning, school, homework, practicing, and bedtime routines. For keeping the house, laundry, dishes, and cleaning in tip-top shape. For preparing better meals than my family has ever seen. For managing all the grocery shopping and to-do lists. For being captain of the entertainment committee. For rescuing us from a flood. For salvaging our laptop after the computer crashed. For nursing me back to health.
And for giving me the greatest of all gifts. . . time.


Time to love, enjoy, and marvel. . .


at every single. . .


tiny, little. . .


detail.


For the first time.


Babies are truly a blessing and a miracle. . .
And so are Grandmas.

Love you, Mom.

.

8 comments:

Emily said...

Ha! I just noticed Isaac is wearing the exact same yellow shirt Clayton is wearing in the previous picture when Isaac was a baby. . .

Nobody said...

I love your writing.
I love Grandmas too.

Jenny said...

I've read this post twice now...and I cried both times. I cried because Eliza is so precious, because I'm so grateful Mom was able to spend time helping, because I'm glad you got to really enjoy your baby this time around, and I cried because I don't think I can be as tough as you and have a baby without Grandma there to help! Please let me know how you did it three times by yourself.

Christina said...

Yes, Grandmas are amazing. But, I think you are amazing. You are such a trooper when it comes to having kids and doing the post birth stuff. I think having a peaceful home would make all the difference.

Nikki said...

I love Grandma's!! As a mother of 3 boys and then one girl, I have realized it has nothing to do with #4 being a girl ( although that sure is fun) but that by the time you get to #4 you learn to not sweat the small stuff, and you've got the kid thing down pat. Well for the most part.

Allison said...

You are amazing. After having kids of my own, I really can't imagine how you did it with your first three under all those circumstances. I am so glad that mom was able to be there this time and that you were able to enjoy some precious new baby time.

As a side note, Jordie just came over to the computer and saw the pictures of baby Eliza and he said "Oh, dat is dust da cutest baby Eliza. She is so pwecious. When will baby Eliza come to visit Jordie?"

I can't wait to see her in person either. I wish you lived closer to us. I hope we get to see her before she grows up too much!

Emily said...

Ha Ha - Jordie is so cute. I can't wait to see everyone at Mandy's wedding! soon!

Jenny - yeah, I'm really sorry. But at least the sisters are there. . .

Well, Mom. Here's how we fared on our first day without you:

- Isaac lost another tooth and the tooth fairy forgot to come (oops - I was even up for most of the night) which made for a very sad Isaac in the morning. All his hopes and dreams dashed. Which totally didn't bode well with the fact that I ALSO slept in and was late getting the kids to school. Surprisingly Isaac still got a "green" for the day.

- I forgot to remind Briggy to go "pee pee" before school. He told me in the car a little too late and it all came out before he made it to the bathroom at school. Oops again.

- I forgot to send Clayton's library book with him so he didn't get a sticker on his folder which devastated him.

- the house is a mess.

We miss you!

Liz said...

Congratulations Emily! You are so lucky and blessed with a wonderful family and a New Baby Girl! She is adorable!!!