Monday, December 21, 2009

Christmas Rituals

Christmas Letter

Every year Nate writes our fabulous Christmas letter. Every year I am in charge of the picture, the paper, and addressing envelopes. Which I do the first week of December - every year. And every year I spend the whole rest of the month nagging Nate about the letter. And every year he doesn't have time to write it. So every year I threaten to write it myself and every year Nate complains that my nagging actually prevents him from writing. And every year, in the end, he produces a beautifully written Christmas letter. That makes my heart smile - every year.


Christmas Caroling

Every year our family goes Christmas caroling. And every year I spend an entire day baking batches and batches of Holiday treats to deliver to friends and neighbors on our way. This year a neighbor lady asked me when we'd be coming caroling so she could make travel plans. (Um. . . Really? Do we sound that bad?) We sing a capella every year. And every year (despite our neighbors "travel plans") I think we get better and better. And besides me being totally stressed getting treat boxes tied and kids practiced and out the door and home again after bedtime, every year Christmas caroling is the highlight of our season. Every year.


Christmas Programs

Every year I write, direct, perform in, and attend program after program. This year I played my violin in four different programs and wrote and directed two. Every year I drag my children to endless practices and rehearsals. And every year Nate is my best critic and sound board. And when the other participants don't spend every waking minute breathing, eating, and thinking about the program, he listens to me complain, "Ugh! Nobody cares about it like I do!!". And he assures me that nobody does. Every year. But every year our home, church, and community are filled with beautiful music. Christmas music. And I never EVER get tired of Christmas music.


Christmas Parties

Every year the best party is always the Ward Christmas Party. Because Santa comes. Every year. And every year I haul a minivan-load of costumes, programs, jingle bells, music stands, piles of sheet music, my violin, and a sweet-potato casserole. And then I disappear backstage (or front-stage) for most of the party while Nate single-handedly manages our crazy brood of children - every year. This year Nate spent most of his time in the hallway with screaming Eliza. He is Dad of the year. Every year.


Christmas Crafts

Every year I wish I were super-crafty like Christina. Because every year I drool over Christmas crafts like this. Luckily my children get crafty around this time of year. And I adore the things they make. Every year.


Christmas Projects

I love projects. And Christmas projects are on my brain year-round. And every year my list of projects gets longer and longer. And chances are you'll find me at the computer every year at 4:00 a.m. (the only time I can find ALL to myself) eagerly working on some project before the kids wake up. And every year I'm exhausted. From projects.


For better or for worse I do these things every year.
Because it just wouldn't be Christmas without it.
all of it.
And every year I look forward to doing it
again and again and again. . .

every year.

.

4 comments:

Christina said...

Wow, to be mentioned on your awesome blog, I feel like a celebrity.
I am so impressed with your traditions. Mine include a lot more shopping, a lot less music, a lot more procrastinating (which is why I am reading your blog right now), and a lot less sharing of our talents. We are the people that people like you organize for. We are the people that sneak in late to the party, eat more than our share, and maybe put away a chair or two. Thanks for being my friend anyway.

Jenny said...

You are totally amazing Emily and totally crazy too! I've been thinking about you this last week because last year I was with you watching you do all of your "every year" activities and I still just can't figure out where you get your energy. I miss you and the kids this year and I have had thoughts all month like, "How would Emily package this? How would Emily organize this program? What treats would Emily give out?" etc. etc. After watching you in all your Christmas action last year I have definitely been inspired to improve my "every year" Christmas activities. I love the kid's outfits and the pictures!

Allison said...

Ah ha ha. All I could think of when I was reading this was that every year, I THINK about doing all this stuff. Every year. But every year, I don't do most of it. But I think about it, every year.

I am amazed. I completely stressed myself out just writing, organizing and directing the ward christmas sacrament meeting program. I can't imaagine doing that for multiple programs (although I did also play my violin at 2 different wards Christmas parties). Somehow, most of the other stuff fell by the wayside.

Sheralie said...

I am going to have to talk to you so I can get more details on all your music making. Some things, like caroling, I have put on my list for "someday when my children are older." Maybe you can give us all tips??