Friday, February 5, 2010

I'm Tired. . .

And I hab a sduffy doze. And I'm tired. Did I mention that? And I'm blogging. Which, the three put together, might be a risky combination - just warning you. But I've got a few minutes and some random pictures to post and after being up all night doing laundry, changing bedding, scrubbing carpet, and cleaning barf off the walls I really should take a nap. But first I've got some important stuff to say. (k, not really)

So, I've been thinking a lot about my kids lately (surprise, surprise). You know, the things they do. The things they say. And how they make me smile. . . and fret.

Yesterday I was leaving the house with Brigham and Eliza to get the other kids from school. I put Eliza down in her baby carrier, pressed the garage door button, grabbed a stack of Library books from the kitchen counter, and turned my back for a split second to hoist Eliza onto my spare arm. When I faced around again I saw Brigham dangling by his finger tips from the top of the garage. I panicked, dropped the library books (thankfully not the baby), swallowed a scream, and dashed underneath him while frantically coaxing, "Don't let go. Don't let go. Don't let go." I got there just as he let go. Whew! Turns out he had no idea that sneaking past me and grabbing onto the garage door while it was opening that he'd wind up on the rafters hanging on for dear life by his fingernails! After he was safe on the ground he went on his merry way without giving it a second thought. And when I asked him later he said, "At first it was a fun ride". That's it. That's all he had to say! Was he the slightest bit scared? Was he thankful at all that I just happened to get there at superhuman speed and catch him ever so gracefully while balancing his baby sister on one arm??? Nope. Yet here I am still thinking (traumatized) about it. Mulling over the fact that I just saw my three-year-old's life flash before my eyes. And thanking my lucky stars he has fingers of steel.

Last night was "Science and Math Night" at the Elementary school. Clayton really wanted to go. Isaac wanted to go too but for reasons completely unrelated to science and math.The problem is: I'm a bedtime Nazi. What can I say? I like putting my kids to bed properly. And with four kids that takes some time. 3 hours to be exact from the time we sit down for dinner to the time the last of the children snuggles into bed. And those three precious whirlwind hours are completely exhausting and. . . sacred. I don't let ANYTHING get in the way of my bedtime machine. Not even the telephone. But I also can't stomach the thought of any of my children missing out on something worthwhile just because it cramps my style. Which is why I am letting Clayton and Isaac do soccer again this season even though practices are at 6pm. And which is why I took all the kids to this birthday party last weekend even though the limo didn't get us home until 11pm.
And which is why we went to "Science and Math Night" knowing full well Brigham was too tired, Eliza was too hungry, and Isaac was too hyper. Clayton won the prize for "best symmetry" at the geometry booth which made his night and eventually we all made it home for a very late dinner with no casualties.

Also last night - all night, like I mentioned, Brigham puked EVERYWHERE! He has actually never thrown-up before and apparently didn't know the "stay in one place" rule because he wandered from room to room and down the stairs - barfing all the way. Poor kiddo. At one point, after several episodes, I was holding him on my lap gently cooing him back to sleep when I heard a sound halfway between a cough and an explosion. The next thing I knew my eyes, nose and mouth were burning and dripping with goop. Poor me. And my piles of laundry just keep getting bigger. Brigham hasn't moved from this spot all day. Poor Brigham.

Clayton and Isaac have plans this afternoon to start a "play club" and charge people to come play with their toys. They already tried selling juice boxes for $1 each and Lego contraptions. Both of which were entrepreneurial failures. I told them they should put on a "play" for "play club" and charge admission. They both looked at me like I was from another planet.

My parents are getting settled and busy in San Diego and just sent me this picture. Isaac printed it off and taped it by his bed. so cute.Cool, right? Check out this and this to see pictures of the grand opening of the newly remodeled "Mormon Battalion Historic Site". It doesn't look at all like the pictures I posted earlier. It's new and beautiful and looks awesome. I can't wait to visit. Can't wait. Can't wait.


There. done writing. I'm going to take a nap now before Briggy and Eliza wake up and I plan on dreaming about something more pleasant than garage doors and vomit. Zzzzzzzzzzzz. . . like juice boxes and nice vacations to San Diego.

8 comments:

Nikki said...

I know the feeling of seeing your kids hang from the garage door. My boys all went through a stage where they would do it all the time. They finally stopped. And Wow that looked like some birthday party!! And lastly I hope little Brigham feels better soon, there is nothing worse than cleaning up puke. hang in there Emily, your doing great.

Jenny said...

I am becoming a bedtime Nazi like you. Everything, especially Brian, runs more smoothly that way. But it is good to be reminded by you that there are certain activities worthy of keeping the kids up a little later for. Thanks. I am so sorry for you and Brigs. I hope he feels better soon. Thanks also for the links about the Mormon Battalion. You'll see them on my blog soon.

Mollie said...

My friend's dad is the San Diego mission president. Carrie Fredin, the family that saved us in the storm with no electricity. Small world.

Christina said...

We need to be bedtime Nazis. We are bedtime hippies. Whenever, where ever, whatever. We drive around to get them to sleep because it is easier than a proper bedtime.

That garage story is so freaky! THanks for the preparation for something that will inevitably happen someday.

The Gunnerson Family said...

Always so many exciting things happening at the Smith house! I hope that you can get some sleep soon.

Oh, I LOVE Clayton's prayer. When do you ever hear those things out of the mouth of a 7 year old? What a smartie! I am sure that Nate was laughing/beaming during it all.

Larman Family said...

Hope you are feeling better! Glad to know that I am not the only one that everyone makes fun of because my kids are in bed every night by 7pm:) And even though the boys may not see it we all think of you as a superhero in all your efforts to always catch them when they fall!

Sheralie said...

I love this post. Write more when you are super tired, please? Great stories and I really want to hear more about that birthday party and the limo? For whom??? And your parents look great. I hear they were supposed to have dinner with my parents but mine skipped town :) We will have to set them up . . .

Emily said...

Sheralie - I had no idea my parents and your parents were supposed to hook up! They've seriously been so busy I haven't even been able to talk to them since they moved to San Diego. . .
We should ALL coordinate a trip to San Diego sometime!