
Clayton is really into clubs. He is the founder of several around here - Lego Club, Drawing Club, Play Club, Clean-Up Club (my favorite), and Snack Club. All these clubs have rules (written on posters and taped around the house) and membership cards. He's got quite a system. And although I appreciate his ability to organize and rally the troops, I find it slightly annoying to need my "Reading Club Membership Card" anytime I want to grab a book from the bookshelf.
So for the longest time (like a year) he has been wanting to start a Science Club. Around Christmas time we were visiting some friends in the neighborhood and the little girl pulls out her (not even kidding) electric circuit board to show Clayton. It was love at first sight. And shortly after, the official "Science Club" was born.
So far the club (comprised of Clayton and his friend and their subsequent younger siblings - not to mention their awesome moms!) has held five scientific meetings about eggs (sadly, no pictures) weather, balloons, colors, and light. Next on the agenda? Simple Machines.
Here are a few pictures from their bi-monthly club meetings:
Balloons
Note to self: blowing up balloons with vinegar and baking soda is explosive and messy and should be done as far away as possible from prized piano.
There is no end to fun with balloons. Seriously.
Isaac shows off his "electric hair"
Launching air rockets.Here's a quick clip of the balloon rocket demonstration:
Colors
Pretty.An experiment in separating colors. I never knew black magic marker is made up of so many!
Milk, dish soap, and food coloring do not mix. But will swirl and move around like magic!
Weather
The weather didn't cooperate (i.e. it was beautiful: no wind, no rain, no clouds) so the kids made their own weather. . .
and stacked rocks around the weather station so that it can withstand the hurricanes and more exciting weather. . .when it comes.
Light

Homemade Kaleidoscopes.
Brigham studies some hand shadows.
Brigham spies around a corner using a homemade "periscope"(a mirror attached to a ruler)
"Sun and Shadow" game.
So what'dya think? Wanna join the club?
Just say the word and (for a small fee) Clayton will make you your very own membership card!
All proceeds will benefit Clayton's Electric Circuit Board Fund.
.
7 comments:
Very fun! I wish we lived near you guys!
I have to confess . . .Jeffrey has that Electric Circuit Board! And it is as wonderful as Clayton imagines. We took it in for Jeffrey's birthday so he could impress his classmates. Wish we lived closer to join the club!
Whew, I am tired just reading about all of the amazing things you have been doing. I am sure that the kids are LOVING all the fun things that they are learning. One day Em, when your kids are winning the Pulitzer Prize they will mention you in their acceptance speeches.
heck yes I want to join the club! Where do you get all these ideas? I so wish you could just live in my neighborhood! I think Clayton and Emma would make a great pair.
Just reading this makes me want to form a
-sitting at the computer when my house is a mess club
-a nap club
-go to the fridge and get a snack club
you are a wonderful mother.
Na! Nate and I both laughed at your comment, Christina. I'll join all your clubs. . .
We want in!! Can there be a Dallas chapter of the Science Club? We actually already tried out your vinegar/baking soda balloons (cool!). We're getting great ideas here- we'll have to post some of our own ideas that we've tried (art robots, water rockets, sound waves making salt dance...) on our blog for you and start a 'cool science ideas' exchange.
Post a Comment